Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal: Additional login information is required

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal: Additional login information is required

Posted Oct 08, 2013 03:33 PM

Up until today as far as I can tell everything has been working well but today I noticed on all devices (Windows 7, OS X, IPad, Android) that there is no longer a notification or automatic pop-up stating that additional login information is required to continue on our Captive Portal network. Has anyone seen this or can you point to a location that "enables" this on devices?

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal: Additional login information is required

Posted Nov 20, 2013 11:25 PM

The devices you mentioned all detect captive portals differently.  For instance, iOS devices check for reachability to apple.com, captive.apple.com, and a few other FQDNs.  If those sites are accessible, the Apple Captive Network Assist is not displayed on the device.  A common method for preventing the CNA from coming up is to whitelist the FQDNs mentioned.  This can be accomplished by adding a whitelist to the captive portal profile or giving the guest logon role access to those FQDNs.  Is it possible that you or another network admin made such a change? 

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal: Additional login information is required

Posted Nov 21, 2013 08:34 AM

It's difficult to say at this point. The good news is that it started working. I did find that there were some DNS changes being made during the time and I'm in the process of investigating what was done and trying to replicate the original problem.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal: Additional login information is required

Posted Nov 21, 2013 08:42 AM

If you were whitelisting FQDNs and DNS stopped functioning on the controller than I could see how that would cause problems.  Let us know if you figure out what the issue was.