Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive Portal Help

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 11, 2019 01:04 PM

Hi guys,

I have been working back and forth with Aruba Wireless Support techs for over a month now and haven't been able to successfully implement a Captive Portal page for one of our guest WiFi SSIDs.

I would like to use the "Internal captive portal, no auth or registration" option so the guest users don't have to sign in with a username and password or register their email addresses. I would like to use the Captive Portal template if possible, but I have custom HTML code that I can upload and use our company logo. Is there a directory on the Aruba controllers where we need to go upload the custom HTML code and JPEG image?

I would like all of the mobile devices that connect to the guest WiFi SSID to have the Captive Portal page pop-up on their screen, have the guest users either click on the checkbox to accept the terms and conditions OR click on a button to accept the terms and conditions, and be connected to the guest WiFi SSID with a custom role that I have set up. 

Has anybody successfully implemented a internal captive portal with no auth or registration on their Aruba wireless controllers and AOS 8.3.0.2?

I have referenced the PDF doc below and suggested to the Aruba Wireless Support tech that we give it a try.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/aaa-nac-guest-access-byod/10187/1/Custom%20Captive%20Portal%20Web%20Guest%20Access.pdf

Any help would be appreciated!

RH-ML

• 2.  RE: Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 11, 2019 01:56 PM

Hello!

So where does it stop?

Are you able to do normal Captive Portal with a default portal skin?

OR - is it just the uploaded portal that doesn't do what it's supposed to?

I haven't tried Captive Portal on AOS 8.3 unfortunately..

• 3.  RE: Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 11, 2019 02:15 PM

There are five options available:

1-ClearPass or other external captive portal

2-Internal captive portal with authentication

3-Internal captive portal with email registration

4-Internal captive portal, no auth or registration

5-No Captive Portal

I'm able to use the default portal skin only if I select option 2 or 3. I'm unable to use the default portal skin if I select option 3 which is the option I want to make it easier for the guest user to connect.

If I upload custom HTML code, I'm able to connect to the guest WiFi SSID but I never get a captive portal page whether I select option 2-4. All I get is a "404 Not Found" web page.

• 4.  RE: Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 11, 2019 02:21 PM

Hello again

I have the 8.4 User Guide in front of me right now and it's pretty well described from page 313. Pretty sure it's the same in 8.3, but it could be on a different page.

Before doing this with Custom HTML, make sure you have it working with the native Captive Portals. Test nr 4 with no custom HTML.

In the examples the Captive Portal Custom HTML is uploaded at "Managed Network" level. Make sure you try it the same way.

• 5.  RE: Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 19, 2019 11:14 AM

Hi John,

The wireless clients will be terminating on our two HP/Aruba 7030 WLAN controllers.

I'm unable to do the normal captive portal with a default portal skin unless if I select the "Internal captive portal with authentication" or "Internal captive portal with email registration" options.

If I select the "Internal captive portal, no auth or registration" option which is the one that I want, I'm unable to use the default portal skin. Once I connect a wireless client to the SSID, then all I get is a captive portal showing the Aruba logo with no hyperlinks, box to click to accept the terms and conditions, etc. so I can't even connect to the SSID. If I try to upload custom HTML code, then all I get is a "404 Not Found" web page for the captive portal.

Is the captive portal setup supposed to be this hard to set up on the HP/Aruba wireless gear? lol

Is there anything else that you think I should try?

-RH-ML

• 6.  RE: Captive Portal Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 12:25 PM

For the no auth or registration portal, there needs to be custom html. The controller needs some trigger to allow the user through, so typically an email or guest user is embedded in custom html in order to facilitate that. The custom html can be hosted internally on the controller, but does have to be manually built from my experience.

• 7.  RE: Captive Portal Help

Posted Mar 19, 2019 12:57 PM

Hi Charlie,

Do you have custom HTML code you can provide so I can compare it with the custom HTML code that me and the Aruba Wireless Support Tech have created?

-RH-ML

• 8.  RE: Captive Portal Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2019 01:24 PM