Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 18, 2017 08:58 AM

Hi All

We need to upgrade an existent Clearpass from 6.2.6 to 6.5.

Since we have certificates, licenses and other configurations what is the correct way to do it?

Create a new VM in Clearpass 6.5? How to migrate existentsettings like certificates and licenses to the new one?

Open a support incident with HPE?

Hope you can help

Regards

• 2.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2017 09:01 AM

You should move to 6.6.8, not 6.5. 

Since you're on such an old release, yes it may make sense to work with Aruba TAC to plan the upgrade. You can also reach out to your ClearPass partner.

• 3.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 20, 2017 09:22 AM

Hi

Do you know where can I get CPPM 6.2.6 OVF to deploy in a LAB?

.I need to do that and create a backup of the existing production server..

After that i will do the upgrade path to 6.6 on A LAB. LAst step will be deploy it to a new server..

• 4.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 21, 2017 02:47 AM

We don't offer OVF's for individual versiopn sof CPPM. You have to install the base 6.2 and then patch it.

• 5.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:02 PM
      |   view attached

Hi

I was able to implemement a VM LAB with a 6.2.6 and a backup from the client.

Now I am testing importing the 6.5.0 image to the Clearpass but gives the error on the image attached. Could you help?

i need to do it this way, since in the client I don´t have Clearpass connected to  internet.

I need to import file from 6.5 upgrade manually.

• 6.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

MVP
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:43 PM

@beconnect wrote:

Hi All

We need to upgrade an existent Clearpass from 6.2.6 to 6.5.

Since we have certificates, licenses and other configurations what is the correct way to do it?

Create a new VM in Clearpass 6.5? How to migrate existentsettings like certificates and licenses to the new one?

Open a support incident with HPE?

Hope you can help

Regards

I believe you would normally need to upgrade in several steps to properly upgrade your configuration without help from HPE/Aruba support.

6.2.6 ->6.3.0 -> 6.4.0 -> 6.5.0 -> 6.6.0 -> 6.6.8

I believe that would be the correct path. You need to read all the Release Notes, especially the upgraade sections, for any caveats and major behavioral changes.

That is partially why I try to stay reasonably up to date. During Thanksgiving break I am updating from 6.6.5 to 6.6.8 

• 7.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 27, 2017 03:56 PM
    Hi.

Thanks. I already tried 6.3.0 and the error is the same.

• 8.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

MVP
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 04:04 PM

You have the proper disk sizes as discussed in the Terch note for upgrading a VM, right? You need either 500 GB or 1024 GB of disk space on the VM in order to upgrade.

Did you read the upgrade instructions in the 6.3.0 Release Notes?

If you did all those, you really need to open an HPE/Aruba support ticket so they can determine why your upgrade is failing.

• 9.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 27, 2017 04:08 PM
    Hi

Already open a case.

The guy said that was the file but I tried with 6.5 and 6.3 files and errors are the same. I will check the disks again.

Regards.

• 10.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 28, 2017 02:14 AM

OK, so firstly you DO NOT need to go through all of the steps as mentioned in an earlier thread.

If you're on 6.3.6 you can go directly to 6.6.0 from 6.3.6 as per the 6.6.0 release notes. Then 6.6.0 direct to 6.6.8.

That to one side.... you're currently on 6.2.6, it should be a formality to go to 6.3.0 regardless of the disk size. You have something weird going on. Please work with TAC to resolve this initial step.

• 11.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 28, 2017 04:02 AM
    Hi. I already discuss this with tac and you guys.

By the release notes of 6.5 you can go directly from 6.2.6 to 6.5.

Even tought I went first to 6.3. Error is the same.

I am downloading from HPE with my partner login. Or the problem is within the browser on windows10 that I am using to connect to CPPM , or there is a subscription error.

I have an active contract to this CPPM, but when I go to downloads it says that No license is linked tosubscription Id at HPE my software site.
    So I am using images download from my partner account.

Working with Tac to see if the image that is downloaded and then manually imported somehow as linked inside the subscription ID. If so that could be the thing.

Regards

• 12.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:25 AM

Hi

Since I have the client on  pressure, I create a LAB and connected the CPPM to the internet.

Now I see all the available updates.  I am on 6.2.6 and downloaded 6.5.

It downloads on the CPPM but failed on we press install

Failed with exit status - 1

Do you have any clues ( second disk is already 500 gb as in the rls notes)

Regards

• 13.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

MVP
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:30 AM

There was a ClearPass bug early on where the /boot partitions would fill up. If that is happening here, you need TAC to help clean out files from older upgrades before you can proceed.

I am not sure at what version this bug was resolved.

• 14.  RE: ClearPAss Migration to 6.5

Posted Oct 30, 2017 08:34 AM

Hi

see now on the log that I were missing SCSI 0:2.

Missed that on requirement upgraging from 6.2.6.

I have a second disk ( on SCSI 0:1) but the log said that it needs 0:2.

Created 0:2.

If it works has supposed and upgrades, do I need to maintain the 2 disks 0:1 and 0:2?

Both have 500 GB.

Regards

Trying again ..