Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

Posted Mar 22, 2017 04:30 PM

Hello, 

I'm beginning an 8.0.1 deployment and want to have our access points use 802.1x on their uplinks. I have a working 802.1x configuration for our access switches, but I'm having trouble finding guidance on configuring a ClearPass authentication service to do this. 

Thanks in advance for your useful advice!

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 05:33 PM
    Are you already doing 802.1X on your wired network?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

Posted Mar 22, 2017 05:54 PM

Hi Tim, Yes, we are doing dot1x for some wired ports, but the authentication is pointed at stand-alone RADIUS systems. We will eventually point these ports at ClearPass, but that is out-of-scope for now. At some point I was told that the APs should use a different service than any other dot1x auth because of the certs involved. Was I given correct information?

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 05:58 PM
    You can take different enforcement action on them, but it would be part of your existing wired 1X service. The only way I can think of that you can isolate the requests is to use a predictable username pattern and then key off that.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:32 PM

I don't think you can use the AP cert for 802.1X as I ask my instructor on recent SWDI training at ATM17 and he said no it's not possible. I guess it's because we cannot have access or extract to the root-ca used by the controller to generate cert to the AP and import it to ClearPass. (I might be wrong here and missing some info about the process).

The only possible way I think is using PEAP. You can setup a username/password (could be a local account in ClearPass) and have the local database in your service. When you provision your AP there is an option for 802.1X using PEAP. (I never tried it but I would be intested to try it once my home lab is setup). You will probably need a fallback VLAN with MAC auth or something like that for new AP that are not provisionned yet or that need to be reprovisionned with PEAP where you can fingerprint that the device is an Aruba AP.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:35 PM

Yes, you're correct. Sorry, read the original post too fast. The only option available today is to use PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 with controller-based APs.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

Posted Mar 23, 2017 12:59 PM

If that's what we have to do, we will, but would it would be ideal to have a cert in the AP that we could use for this purpose. 

Thank you for all of your repsonses!

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 01:34 PM

Aruba controller-based APs (CAPs) do not currently support EAP-TLS for uplink authentication to the upstream network.

You can use PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2. Not a huge difference for this use case.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

Posted Jun 04, 2018 06:28 PM

Will this be changing now that there are the 300 series of AP out?  Or is there a timeline for true 802.1x on the Aruba Access points using EAP-TLS?

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Configuration for 802.1x Uplink AP Authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2018 06:31 PM
    EAP-TLS can be used in ArubaOS 8.2+