Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 06:44 PM

Hi AirHeads,

I need some help with a captive portal redirect loop issue, here is our setup:

7210 controller and ClearPass

- Preauth role configured with the following ACLs

pre-authacl.png

- Captive portal profile configured with https://wifi.customer.com/guest/register.php

- Guest registration page (link above) is configured and reachable when on the LAN

- Guest WiFi is getting DHCP from controller and using public DNS servers. The public DNS has a record for "wifi.customer.com" that points to the private FQDN of the clearpass server. 

- The firewall is the gateway for the users

We connect to Guest WiFi and get an IP address. We open browser and get redirected to page, but get error - Too many redirects

Not sure where the redirects are happening, I need some insight here. It's a bit of a complicated setup, customer's requirements, but causing some problems on my end.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 06:45 PM
    Move the allow to the top of the list

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 06:53 PM

I moved it to the top and now I get timeouts for the HTTP_GET. Doesn't say redirect loop just doesn't load now.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 06:54 PM

while on the LAN with the internal DNS servers, I can resolve the page no problem. When I use the public DNS servers, even though the address is technically public, it times out or says redirect loop.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 06:56 PM

And the ClearPass server is routable from the guest network?

Can you ping it from a guest client?

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:00 PM

Yeah, I can ping the Guest VLAN interface on the controller and I can ping the ClearPass IP. I tested the DNS server by statically assigning it while on the LAN and I can resolve the address. Something between the redirect and the public DNS resolution gets funny, but not sure what/where.

could it be a problem having all the info appended at the end of the url?

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:06 PM

Is your allow https to ClearPass ACL referencing a DNS name or IP address?

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:07 PM

it is the IP address of the clearpass publisher and subscriber.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:12 PM

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, can you change the client to internal DNS and see if you are redirected?

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:18 PM

Configured internal DNS for Guest device, cannot get to the splash page. Added Allowall ACL to the pre-auth role, cannot get to splash page OR to any external websites.

I'm leaning toward a routing issue now. Customer just built new VLAN for Guest network and routing may not be working from Guest VLAN or from firewall.

• 11.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:19 PM
    Sounds like it, yeah. Maybe a NAT issue?

• 12.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:20 PM

I'm going to have customer look into the firewall config/routing config for the new VLAN. I unfortunately don't have access. I will review with customer and will post any findings/resolutions here.

• 13.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Mar 30, 2015 10:48 AM

Issue appears to be routing on the local network. The path the traffic took, was not the same path it used to come back. We found that we saw the SYN, but no SYN ACK. We were able to configure symmetric routing and traffic started to flow no problem. 

We are going to continue to test, but I think the routing has been resolved.

Thanks for the help.

• 14.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

Posted Mar 31, 2015 05:43 AM

Redirect loop normally occurs when you are not using a Microsoft Valid Signed Certificate but an internal certificate but also never use the box template pre-installed as this too can cause a redirect loop

• 15.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

Posted Jun 22, 2017 01:51 PM

does this already resolved?

i got same error also.

• 16.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 01:56 PM

Yes, this issue was resolved at this client's site. The issue was asymmetric routing, the traffic coming into clearpass took a different route out, so we would notice SYN packets, but no SYN ACK packets from the same IP.

Do you have the MGMT and DATA ports configured on ClearPass? If both are configured, by default, all traffic will use the Data port to pass all traffic except traffic sourced from the same subnet as the Management port. So if your sending traffic to the Management address from another subnet, it may respond from the Data port. 

You can verify the routing table in the ClearPass CLI, I think the command is: network ip list

• 17.  RE: ClearPass Guest Redirect Loop Issue

MVP
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 01:59 PM

Another thing to check is your basic configuration on the controller:

1. Make sure you have an IP interface for the VLAN trying to get redirected to the captive portal

2. Make sure you have an ACL allowing captive portal and clearpass:

logon-control

captive-portal

allow-clearpass (allow clearpass via HTTP/HTTPS)

3. Make sure your local network has a route to ClearPass and ClearPass has a symmetric route back.