Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Guest Role Override

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 17, 2017 02:04 PM

Hi all. I am wondering if someone can help me with a role override issue I am having with a Guest Self-Registration. I have a role override set on the self-registration configuration but it is not triggering a CoA to change the user's role on the controller. I have a CoA enforcement profile in my guest login policy (below) with the name exactly matching my role that I selected on the guest side in brackets. 

Pomona-Test-EnfPolicy.jpg

Pomona-Test-AccountOverride.jpg

As I understand, these are the requirments for changing authorization once the account is approved. The problem is that I am not seeing any CoA sent from CPPM in Access Tracker so of course the role for the guest user is not changing. When I look in the Guest Application Log, I see the account approved and the role changed but nothing about a CoA from there either, which I would expect to see some sort of notification that the Guest module at least tried to initiate a CoA. Has anyone gotten this to function the way they want to? If so, can you see what I am missing? I am happy to include more screen shots if necessary. 

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 10:59 PM

Do you have an Aruba Change-User-Role enforcement profile built for that role?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 21, 2017 05:37 PM

Hi Tim. Yes, I do. Please see screen shot below. And you can see in the previous screenshot where this is being applied in the Enforcement Policy. I also have a user role on my controller called Registered-Guest. I would think that I should be able to see something in the Application Log on the Guest side when the account is approved that the CoA is triggered but I am not finding anything helpful there. Pomona-Test-CoA-EnfProfile.jpg

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 07:39 PM

Can you remove the brackets and try again?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 21, 2017 08:54 PM

Same result. The ClearPass Guest user guide does specifically say to put the role that is referenced on the guest side in brackets in the enforcement profile name. 

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 08:57 PM

Hm ok. Best to open a TAC case then.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 21, 2017 08:59 PM

That may be my next step but I was hoping to avoid it if possible. Does anyone have an example of a validated config where this is working as expected?

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 09:10 PM
    It should be working exactly the way you have it configured.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 21, 2017 09:13 PM

I will try upgrading firmware to see if that helps (currently running 6.6.0). Is there anything that I should be seeing in the Guest Application Log?

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 09:36 PM
    I don’t think so.

• 11.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 05:23 AM

Hi Ted,

Have you enabled Radius COA in Configuration » Network » Devices > <click of NAS device> page and also have you configure Radius COA on controllers as well?

Regards,

Pavan

If my post addresses your query give kudos:)

• 12.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 22, 2017 08:07 AM

Yes, and I can manually trigger a CoA from Access Tracker after the user connects.

• 13.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 08:30 AM

Hi,

Try once adding Frame IP in CoA service attributes and check the status.

Radius:IEFT  Framed-IP-Address  = %{Connection:Client-IP-Address}

Are you using Radius Enforcment Generic service for CoA?

Regards,

Pavan

• 14.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:17 AM

I was using a WEBAUTH service but have created a Generic RADIUS service with the condition that you mentioned. I am still not seeing any requests hit either service.

• 15.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:21 AM

Hi,

Add Frame IP along with other attributes which you already configured in service, if it still not triggering CoA , please open TAC ticket, need to anlayze logs.

Regards,

Pavan

• 16.  RE: ClearPass Guest Role Override
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2017 11:54 AM

After hours of messing around with different fields and variations of this config in my lab, I found that the piece that I was missing was simply to enable RADIUS accounting for the AAA profile as well as enable logging for interim-update packets in RADIUS server service parameters in ClearPass. Since this is not mentioned in the user guide as necessary configuration, I hadn't even thought of it, but it does make sense that it would be a requirement. Hope this helps someone in the future.