Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Guest - rotating password

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Guest - rotating password

Posted Jul 22, 2014 01:16 AM

Can CPG do an automatically rotating shared password that emails admins every day with a new password?

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2014 02:06 AM
    Not as of today.

That would be a great feature request.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

Posted Jul 22, 2014 02:35 AM

The challenge is to allow guests logins without any staff intervention.

What are the options for pre-creating accounts, hotel style?

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2014 02:36 AM
    Do you have any programmers on staff? You could write a script that leverages the ClearPass API to do this and tie it to a from job that runs every day.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

Posted Jul 22, 2014 02:38 AM

Interesting.. I'll look into it.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

Posted Jul 22, 2014 08:22 AM

I'm going assume that your rotating a shared guest password that you want changed on a daily basis. If this assumption isn't right please correct me. 

It might be easier to script creating a new user (could be the same user name)each day with a new password, from the script you could easily e-mail the password to admins. 

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

Posted Jul 22, 2014 07:59 PM

That's right. Have not looked at the API before but I am assuming this won't be hard for someone who can write scripts.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Guest - rotating password

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2014 09:46 AM

For those who are looking for a script to generate daily or weekly accounts, I created some proof-of-concept code in PHP. It generates guest accounts, with a given prefix, and an interval (default 1 week) and a configurable overlap.

The output is something that you can import then in ClearPass Guest. It may be helpful...

A live version is at: http://guest.arubalab.com/generate/generate_guest.php

The PHP source: http://guest.arubalab.com/generate/generate_guest.zip (to run it on your own web-server; I can't attach php files to the forum..)

Remember: proof-of-concept code, however easy to change to your needs.