Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 23, 2018 04:51 PM

Hi Airheads friends,

Today i focus a weird issue. I installed Clearpass 6.7.0 on Hyper-V everything works so far but after reboot the management IP is gone. I update to 6.7.7 and got the same issue.

I read some about Hyper-V issues with networkcards on the forum and first what i did is to set the hyper-v mac-adres from the default dynamic mac to static mac.

I checked the network interface and it is just a normal interface, not a legacy.

After a reboot the management interface is gone time after time.

Only thing to mension is that the customer is running Hyper-V 2019 and that is not supported in the release notes right now. But iam not sure if that is the big issue because i see some similar issue on the forum with 2012R2. Customer insists that I install it on 2019.

Who as the gold tip?

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 24, 2018 03:08 PM
    Nobody familar with this issue?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

Posted Nov 26, 2018 01:34 PM

Yeah, I've had the same issue. Mine was solved with doing the things you described. Normal (not legacy) and static mac. But if I remember correctly TAC had to do some adjustment aswell. So maybe try contacting aruba support ?

EDIT: did you follow all of these steps ? 

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.7/InstallingOnVM_6.7_TechNote/Content/InstallOnHyperV/AfterUpgradeToHyperV.htm

system refresh-network

and reboot

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 25, 2018 07:04 AM

Problem is fixed by TAC support. From what i understand (i wasnt onsite) is that  they remove both nics from hyper-v create two new one and leave it on "dynamic mac". 

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

Posted Aug 27, 2019 09:19 AM

Hey guys, to anybody who wants to solve this without calling TAC, we had the same issue and it was resolved by using a fixed mac-address on the Hyper-V servers (requires the server to be off to change), then issuing the system refresh-network command at CLI, which will require a reboot. Apparently this command remaps the ethernet ports to the new MAC addresses. After that no more IP loss after reboot.

-RK

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

Posted Sep 10, 2020 03:09 PM

Today, I ran into the same problem with an upgrade from 6.9.0 to 6.9.2.

This bug is still present and fix is still usable!

Thanks to you, I didn't have to contact TAC.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Hyper-v loses mgmt IP after reboot

Posted Oct 05, 2021 04:39 AM

Hi,

I can confirm that the dynamic mac setting leads also on Hyper-V 2016 to a llost IP.

In my case, it was enough to shut down the VM and change the setting to "Static".

After the next boot, the clearpass VM was reachable again.

It was not necessary to issuing the system refresh-network command in this case.

------------------------------
    Best regards, mom
    ------------------------------