Security

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 04:41 PM

I'm poking around with Insight reporting and have generated a basic report which shows all the authentications of our 802.1x service policy (filtered based on service name).  I've added some columns for device type, device family, etc. so we can get an idea of what types of devices are connecting.

Unfortunately when I review the .csv file for this information, it's all blank.  Is this information only available when we begin profiling endpoint posture? Reports generated for our guest wireless seem to capture all this information, but that is readily available on our Aruba controllers.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 04:44 PM

Looks like I may need to enable the Audit portion of my service and configure the NMAP audit server in order for this to work?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 04:49 PM

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 04:53 PM

Not currently, no.  It looks like all I need to add is an ip helper-address pointing to my ClearPass server.

With that option, is there any need to add the Audit part of the service (let's say an NMAP scan) if all I want to know is device operating system/type?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 05:00 PM
    No. Don't use the audit function.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

Posted Mar 07, 2018 05:14 PM

Ok, last newb question about this - we have regional subscriber servers.  When I'm setting up the DHCP options, do all of them have to point to the Publisher, or will sending to a regional subscriber be good enough?

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Insight report 802.1x device types?

Posted Mar 09, 2018 01:03 PM

I was able to pull a report after pointing the DHCP helper address to the regional subscriber server.  You don't need to point it to the publisher specifically for reports to utilize the information gathered.

Thank you for helping me better understand this feature!