Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

MVP
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:09 AM

Hi all,

Looking to configure a SQL database to verify MAC addresses for corporate owned vs. BYOD devices. I have the connection to the database configured, but I continue getting errors stating "Invalid Syntax...". Any idea how this needs to be configured to check the MAC address exists in the database?

[2015-04-24]-Image-11.png

[2015-04-24]-Image-12.png

In our setup: Device_MAC is the table, MACAddr is the column, CP_Test is the database.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:19 AM

You need to return some type of value based off the SQL query. This should get you started. In this case, I'm returning the serial number.

corp-asset.PNG

corp-asset-role-map.PNG

• 3.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:24 AM

Tim,

You are missing something from your screenshot:

Name                             Alias Name                             Data Type

serialnumber                  CorpAsset-SerialNumber       String

Name is what is being returned from the SQL Query. Alias Name is how you reference it in Role Mapping or Enforcement Policy.

Hope this helps.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

MVP
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:49 AM

Thanks guys, Ok so I was able to get the query configured successfully, but now when a device connects I'm not seeing that SQL auth source under authoriziation in the request. I configured it as an authorization source, I have the "allow to fetch role mapping..." in the database config. I am checking "Authorization:CorpSQL -> CorpComputer -> Exists"  and it didn't work.

Any idea why it wouldn't show up as an authorization source?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:54 AM

Hi Michael,

Can you post a screenshot of the updated SQL Query?

• 6.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

MVP
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:58 AM

[2015-04-24]-Image-18.png

In the SQL database, if we put the devices MAC address in for the Query, it responds with the MAC address in the table that matches.  Not sure if I have the options correct.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 10:03 AM

Michael,

You need your NAME to match whatever you are querying.

Try this:

Name                             Alias Name                             Data Type

MACAddr                       MNPSCompMAC                    String

Then in your enforcement or role mapping, you can use Authorization:CorpSQL   MNPSCompMAC   EXISTS.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass MAC Database SQL Query Issue

MVP
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 10:11 AM

That was it! Thanks for the help guys. Clearly SQL is not something I use often.