Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

Posted Feb 01, 2018 08:26 PM

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

I work for a secondary school that has just implemented BYOD for students. We have a mix of iOS, OS X and Windows. We have Onboarding set up with a network profile that connects to our WiFi using TLS. All iOS devices and Windows devices have onboarded successfuly. After Onboarding they can connect to the WiFi without issue. We have successfully Onboarded ~300 OS X devices. They can connect to the WiFi without issue. We have roughly half a dozen OS X devices that once they Onboard, when trying to connect to the WiFi a popup will appear asking to select a certificate. Even after selecting the correct certificate it still states it cannot connect. Looking at ClearPass Policy Manager Access Tracker there is an error that states

"EAP-TLS: warning alert by client - close_notify
    TLS Handshake failed in SSL_read with error:140940E5:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:ssl handshake failure
    eap-tls: Error in establishing TLS session"

I am at a loss as it works for 99% of OS X devices and there doesn't appear to be a common link between the devices that don't.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 08:31 PM
    Does re-Onboarding the same device fix the issue?

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

Posted Feb 01, 2018 08:35 PM

No. I have tried re-Onboarding the same device, I have tried deleting all certificates, users and the device from ClearPass Onboarding and then re-Onboarded, but the problem persists.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 08:38 PM

Is there any common factor between the devices (OS version, etc)?

Which version of ClearPass?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:09 PM

On closer inspection and review I have found that the OS X version is 10.11.6. Our ClearPass version is 6.6.9.102777.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

Posted Jun 18, 2018 01:00 PM

I am having a simmilar issue after upgrading from 6.6.9 to 6.7

Any update on this? Help? Recomendations?

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 18, 2018 06:22 PM

Hi andresp,

The only solution I have found to date is to require all OS X device to be on version 10.12 or higher. Hopes this helps.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Onboard OS X TLS Issue

Posted Jun 19, 2018 11:27 AM

My devices are all above 11.0 and still having issues. This is an output from the alert tab. Any help is apreciated. I am still running 6.7.0 on all CPPM servers

Error Code:
    Error Category:
    Authentication failure
    Error Message:
    TLS session error
     Alerts for this Request 
    RADIUSEAP-TLS: warning alert by client - close_notify
    TLS Handshake failed in SSL_read with error:140940E5:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:ssl handshake failure
    eap-tls: Error in establishing TLS session