Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 20, 2016 08:16 PM
      |   view attached

Any Ideas please? 

PROBLEM DESTRIPTION: 
    ------------------------------- 
    Cannot Connect to Corporate office WIFI 
    with Aruba ClearPass QuickConnect  
    On personal Android phone: Xiaomi Redmi 3 
    It seems to be certificate issue 

1) installed ClearPass QuickConnect on the device 
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.quickconnect.android&hl=en 
    2) Connected to our WIFI, downloaded Certificate quick1x.networkconfig 
    4) QuickConnect does not list our network (is blank) 

See attached log if interested

TROUBLESHOOTING: 
    ------------------------------- 
    - ANDROID: options > security > Device Manager: Checked Aruba QuickConnect as ACTIVE 
    - From File manager (TotalCMD ) navigated to saved quick1x.networkconfig ; taped to open; received error: installation failed, certificated cannot be loaded 
    - Tapped quick1x.networkconfig > selected open with; but QuickConnect app is not listed as an option 
    - ANDROID: options > Installed applications: Verified that ClearPass QuickConnect app is listed under installed apps

Attachment(s)

txt
    quickconnect_log.txt   7 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2016 09:42 PM

You should open a support case ASAP in parallel to this post.  It could be a problem that is specific to your setup...

• 3.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 22, 2016 07:53 PM

I am having same problem with Redmi Note3 and we even logged a TAC case with Aruba support. After 3 days, they said that it is not an Aruba problem and closed the case. Strange, but if Aruba Quickconnect is not able to register the mime type .networkconfig and is not able to attach itself as the application in which this file should open, how come it is not an Aruba problem?

• 4.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 07:56 PM

Do you have a case#?

• 5.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 22, 2016 07:59 PM

The case number is #1943389.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 09:31 PM

I think what is holding us up is that we do not have a Xiaomi Redmi 3 on hand to replicate your issue.  If you have another handset that it is not working on, we can try to obtain that and get more info.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 22, 2016 09:37 PM

The same issue has been posted for a Moto G4 on the thread available at https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/On-Moto-4G-Android-6-networkconfig-file-not-opening/m-p/275185/highlight/false#M27588

I have tried it on a Moto G4 on my end and it was working fine though. I have Redmi Note 3 with Android 5 on it and that works fine, it's a problem with 6 though.

I tried googling around and figured that it is because the application (Aruba Quick Connect) is not able to register the mime type .networkconfig in the Android system. I have tried using Android Browser as well as Chrome and face this issue on both of them. 

• 8.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 09:43 PM

It seems that in the post Moto G4 it is an end user who is having the problem.  They should work with their organization to open a case with Aruba, because there is a chance that something is not right.  End-Users do not have access to the ClearPass backend to know how things are configured, so they can only give us limited information, and we won't really get anywhere.   For your situation, we probably need the exact device and exact OS to replicate, otherwise we do not know where to look.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 23, 2016 01:17 AM

tsvirk:
    "Aruba Quickconnect is not able to register the mime type .networkconfig and is not able to attach itself as the application in which this file should open, how come it is not an Aruba problem?"

cjoseph:
    "I think what is holding us up is that we do not have a Xiaomi Redmi 3 on hand to replicate your issue."

Thanks everyone for the input. I was afraid this issue is speccific to recent Xiaomi systems. Lets hope something can be done from your end. I will try to make a support case from our IT and share our findings here.

BTW here is my system:
    Android 5.1.1 LMY47V
    MIUI 7.1.2.0 LHPCNCK

• 10.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Sep 23, 2016 01:29 AM

Mine device details are as below:

Device: Redmi Note 3 32G 3GB RAM

MIUI 8 Global 6.9.15

Android Version 6.0.1 MMB29M

• 11.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Oct 10, 2016 04:43 AM

I have a few more users reporting this issue. This time there are different handsets:

Handset                                         Android OS

LENOVO P70-A                            4.4.4

Xiaomi MI1S                                  4.3JLS36C

Samsung Galaxy J7                      6.0.1

• 12.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2016 08:19 AM

You should re-open the case and send the logs from the failed devices to see if they can figure out the issue.

• 13.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Oct 13, 2016 04:06 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

You should re-open the case and send the logs from the failed devices to see if they can figure out the issue.

I am an user who cannot connect to our Company Aruba wifi which I would only use for my personal needs. I have never created support case, thus I cannot reopen it (Another person in this topic did)...

As a user, it seems that I cannot create the official suport case. I guess that I would need to contact our IT for that? Well, our Coorporation's IT  Help Desk is located at another continent, but I can try to ask our Local Techs.

Regarding 'LOGS' you asked, do you mean the ones saved on my phone or something that our IT can access?

Is there any other information you will need?

Thank you for clarifying this.

• 14.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 13, 2016 08:26 PM

I worked extensively on this issue and figured that in order to fix this issue on your device you should firstly try installing Mozilla Firefox on your handset and follow the provisioning process from there. In case it still fails, the only option is to "factory reset" the phone and try again and it will work fine (well most likely). Most of the devices that were having problems were fixed by following the registration process from Firefox. I am still working with Aruba TAC as this seems to be an application issue where it fails to register MIME types in native and Chrome browsers under certain circumstances.

• 15.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Oct 20, 2016 08:49 PM

tsvirk@bechtel.com wrote:

...fixed by following the registration process from Firefox.

Thanks so much - that just worked!

• 16.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 16, 2016 10:45 AM

Hi

We experience the same issue with Android 6 and Chrome.

Indeed, using Firefox is a bypass, not a solution. I can easily simulate this problem
    Is there any final solution for this?

• 17.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 10:48 AM
    ClearPass Engineering is working on an update to QuickConnect to address the
    changes in the latest version of Chrome.

• 18.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 16, 2016 02:06 PM

Thanks Cappalli

Can you please make sure to share this with your Support teams? I had a customer who just spent 3 hours on a call with support and was not able to come up with a solution. They called me and i just found this post.

Is there any ETA when a fix might be available?

Thanks,

ELiasz

• 19.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 02:28 PM

Sorry for that Eliasz.

The fix is currently undergoing QA testing but I don't have an exact release date. I will definitely update these threads.

• 20.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:25 AM

The updated QuickConnect app (version 1.0.88680) is now available on the Google Play store. Thank you for your patience.

• 21.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 18, 2016 02:56 AM

Hi,

i just tested with the new version of QuickConnect - still the same issue. Chrome version is 54.0

It is able to download the file for network config, but it does not automaticaly opens, neither do you have a choice to select an app. It simply download a file and there it stops.
    Thx for your update,

Regards, Danny

• 22.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 18, 2016 04:06 AM
    Hello Danny,

Have you tried using Firefox for provisioning? If not, then please try provisioning process from Firefox browser.

Tajender Singh Virk
    Sent from my iPhone

• 23.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 18, 2016 03:45 PM

I have this issue as well I am testing with Samsung S6 running Android 6.0.1.  I've tried both Chrome and Firefox.  We've been seeing this with almost all clients running android 6 and above.  I have Version 1.0.88680 of the ClearPass QuickConnect App and it is still not working properly

• 24.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Nov 21, 2016 09:22 AM

Hi,

An updated version (1.0.88933) is available today 21 Novembre. This now works a lot better with Chrome 53/54 and Samsung browser. Not yet tested with Firefox

• 25.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Jul 19, 2017 07:29 AM

Hi All,

*We have Clearpass server with CP-VA-500 on 6.6.7 version updated on July 10th, Onboarding was working before the update.

*   So You connect to SSID- GuestàBrowseràGuest Reg PageàClick on Employee Onboard URLàLogin.

*   Now you download the quick connect and Click on install the network profile.

*   The quick connect open with Blank Posture, does not show anything and seems to be in freeze mode. [Tested with 3  Android devices no luck, but this works in IOS]

*   Also tried un-installing the Android app and tested, still the same issue.

Is anyone experiencing this issue after upgrading to the latest version?

Thanks,

• 26.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2017 07:36 AM
    Please open a TAC case

• 27.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

Posted Jul 19, 2017 07:44 AM

Hi cappali,

Opened TAC case on the same day, they took the configuration to replicate on thier end and test . But,they couldnt replicate the issue on their environment to test this, they are not sure why it is disabling the RADIUS service and generating core files(Failing to launch RADIUS pid)

Thanks,

• 28.  RE: ClearPass QuickConnect: network config 'installation failed' on Adroid

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2017 08:11 AM

Request an escalation.