Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

Posted Oct 09, 2020 04:19 AM

Hello,

CPPM Version 6.9.2.1

We set up a File Backup Server yesterday, but the CPPM logs show the transfer failed because the file wasn't found:

Transfer backup to File Backup Server failed
    Backup File Name: auto-backup-tips-2020-10-09-01-10-01.tar.gz
    Backup Server IP Address: ******.ac.uk
    Transfer Type: SFTP
    Reason: [Errno 2] No such file

But the file is showing in Local Shared Folders -> Automated backup files:

auto-backup-tips-2020-10-09-01-10-01.tar.gz

Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Guy

• 2.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 09, 2020 04:31 AM

- Can the CPPM resolve your ******.ac.uk address?

- Can you log into the ******.ac.uk using the SFTP Credentials with an application such as FileZilla?

- Does the SFTP  account have permissions to create a folder? A folder will be automatically created as part of the backups.

- Have you specified a remote directory as well, such as /

• 3.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

Posted Oct 09, 2020 07:06 AM

- Can the CPPM resolve your ******.ac.uk address?

Yes it should be able to, though I'll try with IP instead on one of the Server entries just in case

- Can you log into the ******.ac.uk using the SFTP Credentials with an application such as FileZilla?

Yes

- Does the SFTP account have permissions to create a folder? A folder will be automatically created as part of the backups.

Yes it has full permissions on this folder

- Have you specified a remote directory as well, such as /

I have, but it turns out the user is chrooted, so the path I have used might be wrong, I'll try changing this...

Thanks

• 4.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 09, 2020 02:36 PM

• 5.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

Posted Oct 09, 2020 03:09 PM

Thanks, actually we are using Linux, so hopefully we're ok - I'll see what happens tonight....

• 6.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

Posted Oct 13, 2020 04:20 AM

Hello,

We're actually backing up to a Linux box (Ubuntu), so in theory I think the bug shouldn't affect is(?). But I'm still having fun and games with this! It seems that if I manually create directories for each of the CPPM nodes in the cluster (dir name = IP address of node) I get some success - we now have a backup entry... but only for one of our ClearPass boxes, the other directories are empty.

What we get is a tar'd dir called:

auto-backup tips-2020-10-13-01-10-02.tar.gz

This is fine, but what I was expecting was that there would be a different backup file for each box (1 in each of the IP address directories). Am I misunderstanding how this works?

Thank you,

Guy

• 7.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 15, 2020 09:20 AM

Just to update in case anyone else has this issue:

In the end for us (backing up to a Linux box) the issue was that I needed to manually create a directory for each controller that we are backing up within the directory pointed to by the backup path (in our case /backups)

So within backups I created folders, the names of the folders are the IP address of the boxes you are backing up. The user that is being used to do the backups needs rights to those folders.

What I didn't test was whether if I had specified which controllers to backup in the File Backup Server settings that would have made any difference to its ability to automatically create the folders rather than me manually doing it.

One question I still have - does the backup contain config for the whole system? ie Guest etc too?

• 8.  RE: ClearPass backup auto-transfer failing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 15, 2020 02:30 PM

Hi,

Yes, the auto backup contains complete configuration in it by default. 

You will find auto-backup option under Cluster-Wide Parameters >> Database. It is i recommended to leave it in default setting (i.e. Config).