Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass sponsoring approval fails with impatient guests

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ClearPass sponsoring approval fails with impatient guests

Posted Nov 10, 2017 07:19 AM

Environment: Clearpass (6.6 Patch5) with Aruba Instant APs ~6.5.0

Desired process flow: Guests visiting the company, registrating themselvs on demand with a ClearPass Sponsoring. They enter their name and E-Mail-Address. The request is send by e-mail BCC to the companies reception desk, where they keep track of the daily guests and the staff at the reception staff decides if they sponsor/enable the account. Note: the guest is not physically present at the reception desk, when he signing up for his guest account and so doesn't interacting with the registration staff.

Problem:  Occasionally the ClearPass sponsor approval fails. Some guests seems to be impatient, when the web ui is showing the screen, that they should wait, until the account is enabled. Some are starting to close the page / reload it, or what ever... so since there is no "Login" button anymore, they are starting to reregister. In the meantime reception staff had enabled the first login account but not the second, so they have to they button for the approval doesn't get enabled.

Question: Is this a known scenario and related to missing patches in ClearPass Guest module? How to deal with such a situation? Any ideas how we could technically improve this sponsoring? Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: ClearPass sponsoring approval fails with impatient guests

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2017 07:29 AM

If the guests register with their email address, it might be better to just let them know to wait for the email with their credentials to login, instead of waiting at a page...

• 3.  RE: ClearPass sponsoring approval fails with impatient guests

Posted Nov 10, 2017 07:35 AM

I forgotten to mention that there is no 3G/EDGE available at the customer. Even GSM is failing most of the time - so SMS notfication wouldn't be a proper solution here, too. Hardly i found my way to the hotel when i was on site at the customer :)

• 4.  RE: ClearPass sponsoring approval fails with impatient guests

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2017 07:46 AM

Maybe it is more appropriate to have a shared username and password that changes weekly that is distributed by the receptionist.