Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 21, 2016 05:51 AM

Hi,

I'm really struggling getting useful reports from the new Clearpass Insight (6.6) that I used to find quite easy in 6.5.  I can't seem to create as granular reports as I could in the old version.  In the report filters and can't do an 'OR' statement so can't search for authentication from multiple NADIP devices, I get a message saying filter fields must be unique.  In 6.5 you could select 'AND' or 'OR' in the filter page.  There is also very limited fields in the filters - I used to be able to search endpoints for specific ip addresses eg, 'include 10.4.4.' which would give me all endpoints from subnet 10.4.4.0/24.

Is anyone else had a similar experience after upgrading?  Is there something I'm missing? The new user interface looks really good but the functionality is worse than before :-(

Thanks,

Eleanor

• 2.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 21, 2016 02:31 PM

We have the same issue, in 6.5 we could create really informative and useful reports using filters etc, but in 6.6 we couldn’t figure it out so we logged a support ticket with TAC and were told filters are gone. In some cases we just can’t seem to get the same information at all.

Personally I don’t think insight in 6.6 is as useful as it was, and is a step backwards unless the granularity of 6.5 is returned in subsequent versions.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 21, 2016 04:24 PM

what we had prior to 6.6 is only custom reporting using insight, the pre-configured reports were not very useful. what we did in 6.6 is to introduce the pre-configured reports which caters to majority of the customer base both existing and new. We did not have enough time to revamp the whole product and retain teh custom reporting so we had to made the decision to re-introduce it at a later point. 

having said that the way we re-wrote the backend in such a way that if we need to introduce new templates, it doesnt necessarily take a year like it used to but we can do it in a patch release. we are also planning on re-introducing the custom reporting at a later point, timeline (TBD). 

If you have a template running in 6.5 which could be missing in 6.6 please file a TAC case. If you already have the TAC case opened please follow up with TAC on relase information. 

• 4.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 21, 2016 05:12 PM

The custom reports and rules sets that we could create to filter information were imho much better in 6.5 (and not that hard to figure out) and some templates that seem to be very relevant, for example one to generate a report of guest accounts created (including creation time and addition, for example self-registration based information) do not seem to exist at all.

If it is "easy" (and quick) to get them back created by speaking to TAC then fine but that wasn’t mentioned when we last spoke to TAC about creating reports in 6.6 to get the same info the we got from reports in 6.5.

I know this is a bit of a rant but it seems odd to drop the reporting granularity out of insight and replace it with mostly purely authentication based ones, especially when a lot of the power behind ClearPass is the granularity relating to Policy Enforcement and Guest user management.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:20 AM

• 6.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:21 AM

Indeed, I also prefered 6.5 version of Insight, still I have good suggestions for you that I worked around.

First thing, make sure you enable "Raw Data Input" Option

raw.png

This should give you even more columns choices then before

2016-07-25 11_09_08-Insight - Aruba Networks.png

Once the report is done, it will generate an Excel file (.CSV)

Then I do my filtering in excel with simple filters

filter.png

Basically, you will have all your NAD or Roles or anything, then you just filter multiple or single of them with excel. This is the way I do it now.

Also if you know SQL, you can easily browse the insight SQL database using PGadmin and connecting with the appadmin account.

You can launch this SQL querry for exemple : select * from auth where auth_username='USERNAME' order by timestamp desc limit 5;

by replacing USERNAME with the real username and you will get the last 5 auth of this user.

I also have tickets opened with TAC for Insight, lot of bugs with date and accounting sessions so far. Also the data usage isn't right for lot of users.

Hope this helps,

• 7.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 21, 2016 04:17 PM

In 6.6 within a given filter you have the ability to do multi-select which gives you the ability to select multiple NAD within a NAD filer. Does that help?? 

• 8.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:47 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is having issues with the new version.  I did work out how to run the report for 2 NADIP devices and can then manipulate the data in Excel - it kind of defeats the purpose of having Insight as a reporting tool though.  With this particular report there isn't a lot of lines in the csv file but this would be less manageable if I was reporting on our wifi authentication with half a million authentications per day.

My other gripe is losing the button on the main reports page to re-run a report.  The only way I've worked out how to do this is by editing the report and clicking save which will run it again.  Is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Eleanor

• 9.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 25, 2016 12:00 PM

• 10.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Jul 25, 2016 12:01 PM

half a million authentications per day : WOW :D

Same for me, I save it back if i want to run it now, never found way of forcing a report to run. I also miss the search option of 6.5 which was great to find specific info without neccesarily having to create a report for it.

Also, I had authentication issues for Insight after upgrading to 6.6.0 which I needed to add another Insight profile withing the guest section

• 11.  RE: Clearpass 6.6 Insight Reports

Posted Aug 01, 2016 05:20 PM

looks like the 6.5 search functionality was used as a means to geberate custom reports. I have that is a to-do to bring it back into the product. owing to the effort involved in bringing back this feature, we will be targetting this for the next major release (potentially 6.7) where the report output will be CSV only.  

the ability to have a re-run action to run a report on demand if you already have it saved is also useful. Will be tracking this too. 

Neela