Security

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

This thread has been viewed 68 times
  • 1.  Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Apr 08, 2019 09:24 PM

Two part question. 

1. When using a wildcard certificate on the controller for a clean guest authentication workflow from CPPM (self-reg-> login). Do you need to only select the cert in the captive portal config item on the controller? Or, do you need to select it for the admin/webUI config item as well? I'm not 100% sure the difference. I would have assumed that the CP cert is just if you're going to use the controller's internal CP. 

2. Once that is done -- the NAS vendor in CPPM/guest just needs captiveportal-login.domain.tld ? This currently does resolve to the controller's IP.

I usually always have the customer setup a DNS A record just to ease things along, but it's not possible here. I'm getting weird redirection issues when using the 'custom' DNS name above (not 100% that's the issue) with and without the admin cert selected. Maybe I'm missing a simple checkbox? 

Just trying to rule out the obvious.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2019 09:28 PM
    1. Just the captive portal certificate
    2. Correct, but no DNS names are needed

Also, a wildcard is overkill, dollar wise. A standard single-name certificate (~$5 USD/year) is all that is needed for captive portal.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Apr 08, 2019 09:34 PM

Thanks, Tim.

Yeah. I agree on the price. It's what I have, and since I can't mess with DNS, I guess I don't have much of a choice.

I usually buy a single name cert, set an A record and move on. . .

• 4.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Oct 21, 2019 09:45 AM

Was this changed in AOS 8.5.0.3? Client gets the message 'cannot reach this page' error after captive portal authentication. 

https://captiveportal-login.domain/cgi-bin/login

Do I need a A-record resolving this to an IP address and if so, what IP address needs to be resolved in a cluster? In the past there was no need for an A-record.

It has been a while using wildcards but I need to for this customer.

thanks

Erik

• 5.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Oct 22, 2019 09:50 AM

looks like it is changed. In stead of captiveportal-login.domain you have to use domain in AOS 8.5.0.3 

rgds,

Erik

• 6.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Oct 24, 2019 01:07 AM
    Do you have any documentation for that change in 8.5.0.3? I’m not seeing anything related in the release notes, so is this a bug? We use a wildcard cert, so it assumes ‘captiveportal-login.xxx.yyy’. Are you saying it no longer redirects that FQDN?

• 7.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Oct 24, 2019 04:31 AM

No documentation found. I just experienced this on this customers project. I'm working with TAC because this must be a bug.

TAC states it should be captiveportal-login.domain

I broke the internal CP functionality messing with the CP settings certificate to get Clearpass Guest working properly with the wildcard.

I opened the ticket because I kept getting the default certifcate sent to the client even when the GUI said the wildcard was in use. TAC collected data but couldn't fix it. I later found out you have to set the CP certificate on device level on both MM en MC. Higher up doesn't work (bug?). TAC states it should but they collected logs of it not working. I have also sent them logs of the internal Captive Portal working again.

When I got the internal CP working again, I noticed there was no hostname in de url. So I tried that on the Clearpass vendor settings and now Clearpass Guest works as expected. This must be a bug too.

It will prevend my customer to upgrade to 8.5.0.4 if thats the case though because that would break the guest wifi. I will have to leave instructions what to do if it is changed back to normal.

I'll keep this thread updated with input from TAC.

rgds,

Erik

• 8.  RE: Clearpass / AOS 8.x Wildcard Certificate

Posted Nov 05, 2019 04:24 AM

It's  not a bug.

The provided certificate is not a standard wildcard certificate but a multidomain wildcard certificate. Ia: there are multiple wildcard domains added to the SAN. The subject therefore needs to be the domain; at least, this is how it was explained. 

The controller only checks the subject field where no * is found. So the Datapath FQDN is domain.

Hope this makes sence.

rgds,

Erik