Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 06, 2015 10:51 AM

Airheads Community,

We currently have a Clearpass Guest setup that we are planning on sharing with the college community and allow for guest user account creation by faculty and staff followed with self sponsorship at some point in the future.

We like the fact that the guest user gets and e-mail and a text message with their account details when they go through the self-registration/sponsorship method. We could like to acheive the same when an account is created through the admin menu in Clearpass? Is this doable? If so, can you provide some guidance on how we can go about in implementing this?

In addition, is it possible to set a limit on the expiry date the user sets when creating the guest account without removing the calendar date selection option?

Thanks,

Peter

• 2.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 06, 2015 11:08 AM

Please try the following :

1- Edit the create_user form 

2015-03-06 10_57_32-Customize Forms & Views.png

2- Then edit two fields that you are not using and edit those to add the auto_send_smtp and auto_send_sms

In this example i used the expire_timezone since it was disabled on my form and then selected the auto_send_smtp field from the dropdown

2015-03-06 11_04_56-Customize Form Field (expire_timezone).png

2015-03-06 10_58_35-Customize Form Fields (create_user).png

I decided to add the fields with a checkbox but you could select make those hidden as well

2015-03-06 11_00_01-Customize Form Fields (create_user).png

• 3.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 09:17 AM

Thanks Victor. That worked perfectely. I realized that we may not be able to send the text message because usually the sponsor wouldn't know what cellular carrier the guest is using even if we gave them an option of selecting it somehow. We only have e-mail to text configured.

Any guidance on the expiry date limitation? Possibly through a form field validator?

Thanks again,

Peter

• 4.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 09:21 AM

Are you sending sms over smtp ?

• 5.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 09:42 AM

Yes we are. See the settings below:

smstosmtpsettings.jpg

• 6.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 09:43 AM

I guess I missed you are using that option, but yes you can .

Follow this:

1- Create your SMS over SMTP gateway

2015-03-09 09_36_29-Edit SMS Gateway (SMS-OVER-SMTP).png

2 - Then Enable the carriers you would like to use

2015-03-09 09_36_51-Mobile Carrier List.png

3- Then edit your create_user form and edit one of the other fields that you are not using and add the visitor_carrier field instead

2015-03-09 09_39_04-Customize Form Field (sponsor_email).png

4- Form

2015-03-09 09_43_24-Customize Form Fields (create_user).png

• 7.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:07 AM

Thanks Victor. I figured this could be done this way but I don't know whether there will be an advantage of additing this to the sponsor guest user account creation since the sponsor probably won't know which carrier the guest is using.

Some other ways of accomplishing this, that I can think of, without having to select the carrier is possibly having a e-mail to sms service like Clickatell or buying Aruba's SMS credits. Any other ideas?

• 8.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 09, 2015 10:11 AM

Purchasing credits from an SMS gateway service is your best option, if the person that is creating the account doesn't know the user's cell carrier 

• 9.  RE: Clearpass - Automatically send e-mail and text message after user is created

Posted Mar 28, 2017 04:00 AM

Hi, I have a question about the Self-Registration.

I would like to configure a Self-Registration site with the email adress. The costumer has to enter his email address an then he can access to the network. He gets an email with the username and password.

How can I do this?