Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

Posted Jun 24, 2020 03:12 AM

Hi all,

Is it possible to restore a backup taken from a Clearpass server, and restore this on a new Clearpass server with a higher version?

If supported, is there a matrix available with the possibilities between the versions?

Thanks, best regards,

Martin

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 24, 2020 03:22 AM

You certainly cannot restore backup of your CPPM configuration from higher version to lower version. I would expect this to be the same from lower to higher. I've always restored to the same version then upgraded accordingly.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2020 01:41 PM

Typically, we do support restoring a backup onto a higher version. Having said that, we've to consider if there are any internal db schema changes that are backward incompatible. 

What is the backup version and the version you are trying to restore on? I can then confirm if it is supported. 

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

Posted Jun 25, 2020 04:00 AM

Hi,

Currently the clearpass cluster (3 servers) is running version 6.7.13 within VMWare and we don't want to upgrade because of very low disk space. Instead, we want to deploy a new cluster with version 6.9.1 in parallel. Ideally, the fastest way to do this is backup the publisher and restore this in 6.9.1 and build the deployment again. But as you said, it depends on the internal db schema changes and possible incompatibility.

So, is there some kind of compatibility matrix what works between the versions?

Otherwise we deploy a new publisher with the same version, restore and upgrade, and then build the cluster again.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 25, 2020 01:46 PM

Instead, you can join the new node with higher disk space to the existing cluster. This will replicate the configuration and you don't have to manually backup and then restore. 

Then drop the current publisher and promote the newly added node as publisher. You can then upgrade the cluster to 6.9.1.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

Posted Jun 30, 2020 07:58 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the information. That is also a very applicable solution.

So I take it there is no compatibility matrix, or it is not possible, for restoring a backup from a lower to a higher version? That was my original question. If not, the alternatives will be applied.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

• 7.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 06:22 AM

I have tried to back up like this, it is not possible, only the same version.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass Backup from a lower version, restore to a higher version

Posted Jul 09, 2020 06:22 AM

I have tried to back up like this, it is not possible, only the same version.