Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2014 04:30 PM

NOTE: This solution has been superceded.  Please refer to here for a simpler and more recent solution.

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Aug 01, 2014 04:44 PM

Thank you.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Aug 04, 2014 03:54 AM
    Great article mate, I was just discussing this requirement with a customer the other day!

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Aug 04, 2014 11:10 AM

Wow! First day of the contest,you must have been sitting waiting to pull the trigger on your tutorial.

Really great document.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Sep 22, 2014 10:38 AM

Can't seem to download the PDF...

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Oct 23, 2014 10:39 PM

Michael

I am attempting an iteration of this where I have added an onsite sponsor using sponsors email address. My issue is the logic used in the Guest MAC Auth enforcement policy. I'm very new to Clearpass but do understand conditions rules methodology.

Extract from the PDF file

Guest Mac Auth enforcment.jpg

The first condition tests Tips:Role as equal to demo-Unsponsored and it also equals demo-sponsored and it doesn't equal demo-expired.

Surely it can never equal two different values so this test will never be true.

Conditions 2, 3 and 4 also have additional tests that would be superfluous.

Did you mean to test Tips:Role for each of these.

In your policy conditions:

Condition 1: Non-Expired, Sponsored & Unknown Device – first MAC Authentication after sponsorship.
    Note: Originally the role evaluation was set to ‘Evaluate-all’, but now set to ‘First-applicable’ so this rule
    will probably never be hit, but has been left in.
    Update Endpoint Known and change attribute in Endpoint DB, RoleID=5
    Send Aruba-User-Role=demo-sponsored.
    Send session-timeout= %{Authorization:demo MAC-Guest-Check:MAC-Expires}
    Username = %{Endpoint:Username}

Condition 2: Non-Expired, sponsored & Unknown device – Guest account that has been
    sponsored by a different device. This is not likely with a short Preauth session, but for longer
    sessions, this may be relevant. Basically, the account is validated with a different device on a
    different network (requires Clearpass is accessible, typically over internet). The original device
    connects, but it is still Unknown. Alternatively, this is the first mac-auth after sponsorship.
    Update Endpoint Known and change attribute in Endpoint DB, RoleID=5
    Send Aruba-User-Role=demo-sponsored.
    Send session-timeout= demo sponsored session timeout (4 hours)
    Username = %{Endpoint:Username}

The tests seem to be for the same thing. Surely you would need to find something that would be different between the two that could be tested for that would make one test true and the other false.

Are my assumptions correct and con someone suggest alternative tests.

Thanks in advance guys

Wayne

• 7.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2014 02:43 AM

Condition 1 can probably be removed as I said. The solution changed over time, but I just left that rule in.

Condition 2 will be hit if the account logs in with an unknown device.  Basically registers with one device, but then confirms the email with a different device.  Since the act of confirming the email, does not trigger a CoA, this will also be hit for the first mac-auth after sponsorship.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Oct 27, 2014 06:30 PM

Thank you for replying Michael.

My questioning this setup wasn't what it was achieving but how it was achieving it. I couldn't grasp how testing the Tips:roles to see if it equals demo-Unsponsored and also equal demo-sponsored would work. When Tips:roles equals demo-sponsored then it can't equal demo-Unsponsored so this test can never have a true answer.

Surely when using the AND statement you need to be testing different fields.

My thoughts would be that the correct test for 2, 3 and 4 would be:

2.          (Tips:Role EQUALS demo-Sponsored)

AND (Authorization:[Endpoints Repository]:Staus EQUALS UnKnown)

3.           (Tips:Role EQUALS demo-Sponsored)

AND (Authorization:[Endpoints Repository]:Staus EQUALS Known)

4.           (Tips:Role EQUALS demo-PreAuth)

Would this have be a correct assumption.

At the moment I don't know the Wireless and Clearpass technologies that well so strugle to understand the sequences. The other thing I am trying to come to terms with are the databases. How many are there? I suspected 3 reading your design (Insight, Local SQL and demo MAC-Guest check [Generic SQL]) but later comments about endpoint database etc mean I am now unsure how many databases are in use. The other thing I think I might have picked up now is how some of these databases get updated (E.G. Enforcement Profiles) But I don't think that covers them all.

Any helpfull comments greatfully accepted.

Wayne

• 9.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 23, 2015 02:20 PM
      |   view attached

If this is a duplicate I apologize...

Mr. Clarke...

We have been using this configuration for the past several months with apparent success.  Thanks again for taking the time to do this.  I have found a small glitch that we came across and I have not been able to solve as yet and maybe you might be able to shed some light.

The issue I have come across is that during the Preauth state and BEFORE the Sponsored state, the session timeout is set to 10 minutes, however, after the 10 minute period, it appears that the MAC-Guest-Check:MAC-Expires reaches 0 or a negative number, the session timeout value is set to a very large number which in essence never expires the session. (see attached).  Any insight would be helpful to address this would be appreciated as I have tried several avenues unsuccessful with my limited ClearPass knowledge.

Much appreciated

M

• 10.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2015 03:53 AM

Hi,

As I mentioned, the solution may have some flaws.  Thank you for spotting this.

I couldn't open the attachment.  can you reattach please.

• 11.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 26, 2015 02:33 PM
      |   view attached

As requested... I have saved it in pdf format.

I recognise that there may be issues as stated in the document, but overall it still works.  Its just a matter of resolving the preauth timeout so users dont have unlimited access before sponsoring themselves.

Thanks...M

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Clearpass.tiff.pdf   71 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Feb 04, 2015 12:31 PM

Hi all,

i'm trying to do this LAB with a CPPM vers 6.4 : but it doesn't works..

During the configuration, i've fount that i can not set into the "role override" of Sponsorship Confirmation, the value "demo-Sponsored": the only value that i can choose are [Guest], [Employee], [Contractor] and (prompt).

What can i do? Have you got some suggestions to troubleshoot and solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Nicola

• 13.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 12:34 PM
    Did you define your guest roles in the [Guest Roles] role map?

• 14.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2015 12:48 PM

I have since upgrade my lab to 6.4 and see the same issue.

As Tim said, just define those roles into [Guest Roles] and they will then be available.

• 15.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Feb 05, 2015 03:29 AM

Thank you mr. Cappalli and mr. Clarke, you are right!
    Now, i go ahead with troubleshooting: now i'm investigating why as soon as i click "click here"'s link, even  if i have presented the receipt, i have no changes both in controllers and in ClearPass: user keep the same role demo-preauth. I've no MAC auth after captive portal auth..
    thank you guys for the support.

Nicola

• 16.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jul 22, 2015 10:53 AM

Hello there

Nice document to start ;)

We are no running CP 6.5 and noticing the following where the Attributes are no longer present for the for the following 2 profiles only. Any thougts or knowledge on this?

“Session Restriction Enformcement” profiles

- Update Endpoint Unknown

- demo Addtional Device Sponsored Guest MAC Caching.

Thanks

Ken

@Michael_Clarke wrote:

Hi,

As I mentioned, the solution may have some flaws.  Thank you for spotting this.

I couldn't open the attachment.  can you reattach please.

• 17.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 09, 2015 06:59 AM

Hi all

Is this still considered the best method for doing this or do we have any alternative method? I want to do this but also allow the option to validate with their facebook/twitter/linkedin account.

• 18.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Apr 14, 2015 05:26 AM

llo

Under this section

Update demo Guest MAC Authentication Service

I cannot see Last Seen in my view... Running cppm 6.5.0.175 a total clean install. Is there a possible to get the select query from this part listed from anyone of you guys who have it? :) Awesome guide btw. Saves lots and lots of time

• 19.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Feb 08, 2016 01:16 PM

Where in the document is the part where you add the "demo MAC-Guest-Check" Authorization source? Page 21 says that we need to make an edit to it, but it was never created in the first place. Knowing the parameters for creating this Authorization source would be helpful in finishing this method.

Also, why is the "demo Sponsored Guest Do Expire" Session Restrictions Enforcement profile defined as "Delete and logout (4)" on page 12, but then on page 15 it tells us to create the same Enforcement profile with the same name, but change the parameters to "Disable and logout (2)". Which is it? A little clarification on this would be appreciated.

Thank you!

• 20.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Mar 08, 2016 10:01 AM

Hi all

I've set all this up for a customer but I'm finding that we are using up endpoint licenses quickly, probably due to the allow all on the MAC auth. Any ideas how I can mitigate this?

• 21.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Mar 08, 2016 10:46 AM

Hi,

a first step to preserve licenses could be using MAC CACHING, for users that connect more days consecutive..

Than, the best way to keep license number low, is to avoid users to connect... this is the hateful truth..

N

• 22.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Mar 08, 2016 11:53 AM

Its an open guest network so we can't stop connections. MAC Caching is set up already.

• 23.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Mar 08, 2016 12:29 PM

davey_m,

Have you tried to limit the number of maximum connections? Adjusting this value might help a bit.

In the Aruba Controller AP Configuration > AP Group name > Wireless LAN > Virtual AP > SSID > SSID Profile > Advanced tab and scroll down to Max Associations.

I know you're looking for something that will limit the total number of associated MACs for your guest SSID, so this might help. I'm not 100% clear whether or not it's a global value or if it will only affect the APs directly (meaning, if the max association is 65 PER AP for a particular SSID, this may only affect total guest capacity per AP instead of the entire SSID), but maybe modifying your guest DHCP pool to only allow for the total number of licenses you have available might help more. Just spitballing.

• 24.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 14, 2017 12:10 PM

Does anyone have the original PDF? The other "easier" version is missing a few things. I would like to review the original and compare both...

• 25.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2017 07:08 PM

What is it that is missing?  The original version is very dated and broken now.

• 26.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 18, 2017 12:46 PM
    Just having a hell of a time to get this designed using a Cisco WLC with CWA.
    I can't seem to get it to hit the mac cache service.

Same type of mechanie, guest enters email, receives it, clicks link and extends session to x amount of hours.

I just wanted to see the initial setup of the services. I have the initial web redirect working, user receives email and is allowed on the internet but the rest of it needs work. MAC cache, etc...

• 27.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:42 AM

I see.  Let me test that here with my cisco controller and get back to you.  I won't be until after Xmas though. ;-)

• 28.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 21, 2017 02:05 PM
    yes please!

• 29.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 21, 2017 04:58 PM

You may have this already enabled but just in case : 

2017-12-21 16_54_21-How to ClearPass Guest Mac Caching with Cisco WLC.docx - Microsoft Word Online.png2017-12-21 16_53_57-How to ClearPass Guest Mac Caching with Cisco WLC.docx - Microsoft Word Online.png2017-12-21 16_53_27-How to ClearPass Guest Mac Caching with Cisco WLC.docx - Microsoft Word Online.png

• 30.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 21, 2017 08:25 PM

Thanks Victor but we are using server-initiated "CWA" like auth so no web policy configured on the WLC. I am sending the redirect ACL and redirect url from CPPM to the WLC. This works great.

Initial MAC authentication works, users is put into proper CPPM role, etc. portal loads, enter email, receive sponsorship email

Initial access tracker output shows

1. MAC auth service
    2. web auth service
    3. goes back to mac auth service instead of the mac caching one...

I will continue to work on it...off for the holidays but crunch time for me is 2nd week of January so ill see then.

Anyway, Michael_Clarke, if you have something working for self-sponsoring using email and Cisco, would love to see how it was done...

thanks again all

• 31.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:35 PM
    Sorry don’t understand the workflow ...let me see if I understand.
    Unknown or expired Mac caching connects and hits the Mac auth service (Mac auth failure)> then redirected and performs web auth and hits the web auth service (Mac caching is added to endpoint db ) then if the device reauth it should hit the same Mac auth service but different policy rule and using time source it determines if the device is allowed to the network if Mac caching hasn’t expired .

Why another Mac caching service ?

Get Outlook for iOS

• 32.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2018 04:36 AM

Going to try and spin this up today out of curiosity.  Was intending to do over the holidays, but the festive season got the better of me. ;-)

Pasquale, can you send a screenshot of what you're returning in the initial mac-auth with the redirect please?  I tried here but it is not working for me.  My WLC is on an older version that I can't upgrade, which may have something to do with it.

Thanks

• 33.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 07, 2018 06:44 PM
    Back in the office tomorrow, the holidays were "tough" on the body here...back in full force tomorrow.

• 34.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 08, 2018 11:47 AM

using version 8.3 for the WLC

Here is what I have (l am still playing with things so its a bit everywhere)

service_rule.PNGauth.PNGenforcement.PNGenf_profile.PNG

• 35.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2018 12:50 PM

Yes, that is what I have here, but my redirect is not working.

My WLC is on 7.0.220.0 so maybe those AVPairs are not supported on that version.

• 36.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 09, 2018 09:03 AM
    I can send you the firmware for 8.3 if you want ??

I am not using a vWLC though...I was initially but found a 2504 lying around.

• 37.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 10:32 AM

Unfortunately my ap is an 1142N model and won't upgrade beyond the version I am on.

• 38.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 09, 2018 04:39 PM
    I believe I managed to this to work, well at least 90% of it.

I will post more details when I get a chance....

Last step to figure out is after my "12 hour" session, I need to get redirected back to the portal (need to figure out some role mappings).

• 39.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:45 AM

I'm curious to see how you've setup the cisco.  Are you using a conditional web redirect?  Any chance of some screenshots of the cisco?

• 40.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 10, 2018 09:15 AM
    Most definitely once I get the time to actually put something together, my intention was to write up a complete guide and post it on the forums as this has been a challenge but also fun.
    Now, obviously there are other ways to get it done but this is how I got it to work with the help of a Clearpass SE.

• 41.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:27 PM
    one of my last pieces is when a user receives the email to sponsor themselves, there is a hyperlink to click here which redirects them to the sponsoring page.

1. Can this page simply not be displayed and instead when they click the link, it sponsors them and redirects them to a website.

2. if the sponsoring page is required, when clicking on confirm, it simply stays there and says the account is confirmed, is there any way to force the page to redirect to a particular website?

3. How can I edit this sponsoring page as currently it is the default one?

this is the last piece of the puzzle...i think anyway

• 42.  RE: Clearpass Guest - Self registration & self sponsorship (email address validation) - August-MHC

Posted Feb 01, 2018 07:42 AM

@Michael_Clarkewrote:

Unfortunately my ap is an 1142N model and won't upgrade beyond the version I am on.

Hi Mike, just remember you mentioned this.

I am using an 1142N and I am on 8.3

I will PM you how to access my WLC so you can take a look how it is configured.

Update on the final product.

I managed to get something to work. Cisco CWA + WPA2+PSK is not nice...the controller must send a dissaociation request so the endpoint needs to re-establish the 4-way handshake....If this was Aruba, role change, you're good.

I'll keep everyone posted.