Security

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Guest device expiration update

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Guest device expiration update

Posted May 19, 2016 08:46 AM

Is it possible to update a clearpass guest device registration, expire date, from policy manager.

Right Now I have the expiration set to 1 year after registration when they register.  What I would like to do is update the date every time they connect so it is 6 months after last connection.  This way as long as they are using the device it never expires.  But if they leave, it gets removed after 6 months.

I have not found a way to update the update that field in a post authentication profile.  I assume I am not the only one who wants to do this?

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2016 08:50 AM
    I don't think this is possible directly with a post_auth update, however you could probably leverage the guest API to do the update. 

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

Posted May 19, 2016 08:59 AM
    I haven't played with the guest api, is there doc that you can point me at that explains how to use it?

How would you trigger it? can you trigger a "script" or api call in post authentication?

Maybe another way at this is to update the endpoint upon each connect and every 6 months run a script to pull the
    endpoint last connect dates and update the guest devices expiration via the guest api? I guess that depends on if the
    cpmm has an api to access the endpoints.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2016 09:02 AM
    I don't have a doc but I will test it for you later today. 

You essentially create an external context server with actions tied to it. The action in this case would be to update the expiration time. 

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2016 10:58 AM

There is actually a post_auth update that will accomplish this without using the API. Configure an enforcement profile like below and add it to the appropriate rules in MAC-auth enforcement policy.

expire-time-update-6m.PNG

Note that the value is in minutes.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

Posted May 20, 2016 11:22 AM
    Yes, but isn't that the guest user (Ie Account)? I want the guest device.

• 7.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2016 11:32 AM
    A device is a guest user account of type DEVICE.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass Guest device expiration update

Posted May 20, 2016 01:27 PM

Tim,

that seems to work perfectly.   Thanks for all the help.