Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 19, 2015 11:23 AM

Hi All

I'm trying to work around the situation where a Clearpass onboarded certificate has become revoked or has expired.  Is there anyway of creating a role which forces onboarded devices with a revoked or expired certificate to a reprovision page?

I've read the following which describes sending emails to the user for the x number of weeks leading up to certificate expiry which is something we will implement however the customer has some departmental devices with a generic accounts so the end user does not get the notification email.  

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Handling-certificate-expiration/td-p/93548/highlight/true

Also some devices hide in drawers for weeks on end and the certificate gets revoked through inactivity.  We're reluctant to increase the inactivity period as this will have an impact on the Onboard licensing count.

I had created a test enforcement policy whereby if the outer authentication method was TLS and the auth status failed to return a pre-provisioning profile.  I can see the Radius Response in the Access Tracker returning this role though I suspect that as the Login Status is REJECT this is preventing this from being sent to the controller.

Is the only alternative, when dealing with Apple smart devices, to manually delete the profiles and  reprovision?

Many thanks

Mark

• 2.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 19, 2015 11:33 AM

When a certificate is revoked or expired, it results in an access reject message.   Even if we were able to write policy based on the error code to return a role to the controller, we can't change the access reject message, so the role application would not apply.

As an alternative you could try and re-enroll devices at some interval prior to expiration to try and catch them before they expire.   See

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/Handling-certificate-expiration/td-p/93548

for some thoughts on this.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2015 11:35 AM

Just to add: This is a limitation of 802.1X. Authentication can either pass or fail. If authentication fails, that is the end of the road.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 19, 2015 11:37 AM

You could apply a rule using the Time calculator as an Authorization source

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 11.32.57 AM.png

You could send an Enforcement profile with a user-role that will redirect the user to the portal to re-onboard the device

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 11.28.13 AM.png

• 5.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 19, 2015 01:03 PM

Hi All

Many thanks for replying so quickly, the speed of the response on here is always impressive.

Will the time rule work when the cert has expired or has been revoked or will the Reject take precedence?  I've not been able to get this to work.

Thanks

Mark

• 6.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 19, 2015 01:46 PM

No, once it is expired or revoked it will result in a failed authentication.  The time source solution and the solutions in the link above are to pre-empt the expiration.

• 7.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 19, 2015 02:21 PM

Many thanks for confirming Chris.  Much appreciated.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass Revoked or Expired Certificate Role

Posted Nov 24, 2015 01:56 PM

Hi All

Apologies for revisting this, but is there anything else I need to add  to the above enforcement policy to get it to work?  We're using 6.5.2 so am I rright in assuming Time Source has replaced Time Calculator?  Do I need to modify any of the Time Source attributres?

I've tried both Cert Epiry as a Role and an Enforcement Policy but CPPM ignores it despite have Certificate:Not-Valid-After set

Not-Valid-After.jpg

I've configured the following enforcement:

Enforcement.JPG

Below's the role Tips Role:

role.JPG

Both appear to get ignored. I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Mark