Security

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

Posted Oct 31, 2017 04:12 PM

I am attempting to setup clearpass for onboarding users with certs.  I got it all working but ran into a slight issue I am not sure how to solve.   I have onboard setup to provision the cert to both user and machine.  When the user is logged (as user@domain)  everything works fine.  But when the user logs out the machine sends auth as host/user@domain the authenticatiion fails with an alert of EAP-TLS user unknown.  

So I think my question is how to get cert based machine auth working, if I can.   Can I take the request in the format of host/user@domain and autenticate it based on a cert that was onboarded? The issue sees to be that the host/ is not striped and is being used as the username.  I am not super familar with machine auth and have never done it with onboard and certs.

Ideally I would like to support both machine and user auth using certs as long as I can do both auths via the onboard cert database.  I assume since I have the machine cert I would not have to use ad in order to do the auth?

• 2.  RE: Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2017 04:15 PM
    These are domain joined Windows machines?

• 3.  RE: Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

Posted Oct 31, 2017 04:19 PM
    For this discussion let's say no. For the user side we do authenticate via AD but we do not have the hooks in place to check machine status. I was hoping that since we have the machine cert in clearpass onboard we could avoid having to do the machine lookup in AD.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2017 04:21 PM

So if they're not, then why are you trying to use machine authentication? Machine auth is a domain join only feature.

Is the certificate in the user's name or the machine's name?

• 5.  RE: Clearpass TLS cert machine authentication

Posted Dec 18, 2018 06:12 PM

Any resolution on this?  Having the same issue.

thanks