Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass VM 6.2 to 6.3 migration [Quick Guide] #mhc

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clearpass VM 6.2 to 6.3 migration [Quick Guide] #mhc

Posted Feb 13, 2014 04:53 AM

Hi everyone,

today i successfully migrate my clearpass after having some issues following the 6.3 migration tech notes.

i've a 6.2 clearpass vm that have two disc; iscsi 0:0 of 15 gb and iscsi 0:1 of 50 gb, both iscsi disc are used so as i read on some posts i cannot detach the "usused" disk and add a bigger disk because this cause a crash in my vm on boot.

so i open a ticket and the support help me to migrate the vm with this step:

1-on clearpass 6.2

- make a full backup

fullBackup.PNG

- from cli save the "show license" output

- export your certificate and be sure to have the private pasword. 

- export your system id code

2- deploy new clearpass 6.3

- after you import the odf template add a new disc of 500gb

- start the vm and wait

- via cli end the procedure giging password and ip address

- connect via web to given ip and insert the license previously extracted  (policy manager license)

- reconnect and restore the backup selecting all the option you need (it depend if you wanna restore insigh db and soon)

take care of select "ignore db version" so clearpass will upgrade 6.2 db to 6.3 during import and you will see in logs "Backup if different from policy manger. will attemt to migrate data"

cprestore.PNG

- reimport the certificate (please note that with 6.2.x we have one cert, now the same cert have to be imported under Radius and under HTTPS in 6.3.x)

- reconfigure ldap if you've joined your clearpass to a domain

my backup was about 200mb and all this migration take quite 3 hours.

i hope this guide could be usefoul to someone.

• 2.  RE: Clearpass VM 6.2 to 6.3 migration [Quick Guide] #mhc

Posted Mar 01, 2014 12:22 PM

thanks for this, kinda wondering if this isnt a better way then the official upgrade procedure with adding another hdd and such.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass VM 6.2 to 6.3 migration [Quick Guide] #mhc

Posted Mar 03, 2014 11:23 AM

Happy to hear :)

please kudo me :smileyhappy:

i just update the post with a note on the certificate because on 6.2.x exist only one cert and on 6.3.x you've to reinstall on radius and on https

• 4.  RE: Clearpass VM 6.2 to 6.3 migration [Quick Guide] #mhc

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 11:27 PM

When it comes to VM some like to have a fresh install to work with and some don’t have the resources to allocate so there is no better way of doing, its just personal preference. You are still migrating the data with a backup/restore or an upgrade.

When it comes to hardware it is already running the split hard drive so there is no adding or removing any drives.