Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Jun 04, 2018 08:30 AM

I see some confilciting messages around the virtual disk requirements (size and type) for CPPM 6.7. Can someone shed light on the following conerns?

1. The 6.6 VM image ships with 20GB virtual disk size (for disk 0, of course). Though per the documentation, 6.7 comes with 30 GB. There is nothing in the upgrade procedure which refers to the disk size. Shouldn't the 6.7 upgrade procdure require to expand disk 0 from 20 to 30 GB before upgrading?

2. the type of Disk 0 in the image is Thin/Dynamic. According to this article: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/CPPM-Upgrade-failed-with-error-Pre-install-task-30-prepare/ta-p/293158  Disk 0 should be of type Fixed. If indeed disk 0 should be Fixed, while in the image it is Dynamic, shouldn't the installation and upgrade procedure require to convert it to fixed?

• 2.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2018 08:42 AM
    You do not need to make any changes to the first disk in any case.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Jun 12, 2018 06:50 AM

Is there a way to get a little bit more spcific reply, regarding the specific questions?

Is there a conformation that there can be an issue with 6.7 upgrade because disk 0 is larger? If so, what is the workaround or fix?

What about the type of disk 0 in 6.6 and 6.7? Dynamic/Thin or Static/Thick?

• 4.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 05:08 PM

Hi,

Upgrading from a previous version of CPPM to a newer version normally doesn't require to adjust the VM settings. Not only disk, but also CPU and memory settings sometimes change.

I have not encountered a upgrade where we should change vm settings, nor have I encountered issues after the upgrade.

Good Luck

• 5.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:25 PM

Hi

Just further to this. Whats the logic behind making the 2nd disk fixed?  Our SAN disk space is premium and there seems to be an awful lot of wasted space. We run CPPM 6.5.6 and it demands a 500gb fixed disk.  Looking at sys monitor it shows only a 240gb total disk with only 60gb being used.  So much wasted space (440gb).

Now we're looking to upgrade and the new version demands 1tb!  Why not make it dynamic so the VM can just take what it needs and not eat up so much wasted space?

• 6.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:31 PM

Hi

AFAIK the latest version CPPM (6.7+) the disk may now be thin provisioned.

• 7.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:37 PM
    Only thick provisioning is supported.

• 8.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:39 PM

Sorry Tim, my bad.

I didn't find it in the manual anymore

• 9.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:42 PM

thanks Tim,

May I ask the reason behind this? Especially since the system doesn't even use half of whats provisioned?

• 10.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:46 PM
    It’s a critical network services that requires a guarantee of resources.

• 11.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Feb 11, 2019 07:55 PM

Hi Tim

yes that would explain why it needs a fixed disk, but there seems to be a clear unnecessary waste of space if we have a 500gb fixed disk where Clearpass only seems to want and is configured for 240gb?

• 12.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

Posted Feb 29, 2024 08:23 AM

It's been 4 years, but has support for thick only changed?
    Our company has also switched to All Flash storage, and if the specifications do not change, we are thinking of moving to another solution.

• 13.  RE: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

MVP
    Posted Mar 01, 2024 07:33 AM

We have been involved with ClearPass ever since Aruba bought Avenda. In fact, our PoC was Avenda eTIPS branded.

When Aruba first purchased Avenda there were no 25K capacity VMs, just appliances. Engineering said there was no technical reason why there were no VMs. Our management decides we wanted VMS. The first Aruba ClearPass 25L capacity VMs had the thick provisioning requirement.

tldr: thick provisioning is NOT a new requirement from HPE Aruba.

------------------------------
    Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer
    ------------------------------