Security

Occasional Contributor II

Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

I see some confilciting messages around the virtual disk requirements (size and type) for CPPM 6.7. Can someone shed light on the following conerns?

1. The 6.6 VM image ships with 20GB virtual disk size (for disk 0, of course). Though per the documentation, 6.7 comes with 30 GB. There is nothing in the upgrade procedure which refers to the disk size. Shouldn't the 6.7 upgrade procdure require to expand disk 0 from 20 to 30 GB before upgrading?

2. the type of Disk 0 in the image is Thin/Dynamic. According to this article: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/CPPM-Upgrade-failed-with-error-Pre-install-task-30-prepare/ta-p/293158  Disk 0 should be of type Fixed. If indeed disk 0 should be Fixed, while in the image it is Dynamic, shouldn't the installation and upgrade procedure require to convert it to fixed?

Guru Elite

Re: Clearpass VM virtual disk requirements

You do not need to make any changes to the first disk in any case.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to get a little bit more spcific reply, regarding the specific questions?

Is there a conformation that there can be an issue with 6.7 upgrade because disk 0 is larger? If so, what is the workaround or fix?

What about the type of disk 0 in 6.6 and 6.7? Dynamic/Thin or Static/Thick?

MVP Expert

Hi,

Upgrading from a previous version of CPPM to a newer version normally doesn't require to adjust the VM settings. Not only disk, but also CPU and memory settings sometimes change.

I have not encountered a upgrade where we should change vm settings, nor have I encountered issues after the upgrade.

Good Luck

Cheers, Frank
AirHeads MVP Expert |AMFX#22| ACCX#613| ACMX#733| ACDX#744

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
New Contributor

Hi

Just further to this. Whats the logic behind making the 2nd disk fixed?  Our SAN disk space is premium and there seems to be an awful lot of wasted space. We run CPPM 6.5.6 and it demands a 500gb fixed disk.  Looking at sys monitor it shows only a 240gb total disk with only 60gb being used.  So much wasted space (440gb).

Now we're looking to upgrade and the new version demands 1tb!  Why not make it dynamic so the VM can just take what it needs and not eat up so much wasted space?

MVP Expert

Hi

AFAIK the latest version CPPM (6.7+) the disk may now be thin provisioned.

Cheers, Frank

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution'
Guru Elite

Only thick provisioning is supported.

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
MVP Expert

Sorry Tim, my bad.

I didn't find it in the manual anymore

Cheers, Frank

New Contributor

thanks Tim,

May I ask the reason behind this? Especially since the system doesn't even use half of whats provisioned?

Guru Elite

It’s a critical network services that requires a guarantee of resources.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: