Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass - View DB Sizes

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Clearpass - View DB Sizes

Posted Jan 28, 2020 03:33 PM

I will soon upgrade a large CPPM deployment for a customer. I want to prepare them for how long the upgrade will take. Reviewing 6.8 release notes gives timeframes which are all very reasonable. I need to confirm the customers deployment falls somewhere near the same sample sizes and are not way outside the bounds. 

How do I view the DB sizes so that I can make the correct calculations?

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/CP_ReleaseNotes_6.8.0/Default.htm#UpgradeUpdate/SampleTimes.htm%3FTocPath%3DUpgrade%2520and%2520Update%2520Information%7CUpgrading%2520to%2520ClearPass%25206.8%7CBefore%2520You%2520Upgrade%7C_____1

• 2.  RE: Clearpass - View DB Sizes

Posted Jan 29, 2020 07:06 AM
    If you backup your CPPM instance you will get the "Total Backup Size".

If you extract your backup you should be able to see how large the databases are.

Config & Log DB backups are in the PolicyManager directory.
    Insight DB backup is in the Insight directory.

I'm not 100% sure that these DB backups reflect the exact size of the DB on ClearPass though but it's something... Maybe someone from Aruba/HPE can chip in?

• 3.  RE: Clearpass - View DB Sizes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2020 10:12 AM

You need to take TAC help to get db size detials of LogDB, InsightDB, tipsDB.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass - View DB Sizes

Posted Jan 29, 2020 10:24 AM

I suspected that might be the answer. It would be great to give us the ability to view this ourselves. I will backup and export as jrwhitehead has suggested and I will compare this to TAC findings. I will post back here what is found. It will be a few weeks though. 

Thanks guys! 

• 5.  RE: Clearpass - View DB Sizes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2020 12:52 AM

You can collect the complete server logs from Administration --> Server Manager --> Server Configuration --> Collect logs. 

Untar the logs and navigate to the file named "postgres-info.txt" in the PolicyManager folder. It would show the size of all databases on that node.

Below is an example:

Size of all databases:
    datname | size
    -------------+---------
    postgres | 7343 kB
    AppPlatform | 44 MB
    template1 | 7343 kB
    template0 | 7343 kB
    insightdb | 14 MB
    tipsdb | 10 GB
    tipsLogDb | 474 MB
    (7 rows)