Security

Trusted Contributor I

Clearpass appliance - CPU spikes consistently

I have a Clearpass hardware appliance that's consistently (CPU) spiking every 5 minutes.  This is a system that is not in production and only in test, so I'm at a loss to explain the spike.  It'll go from ~3% to 20%, then drop right back down.  Is there a process that kicks off every 5 minutes that would explain this?  I have checked under System Monitor > Process Monitor, and none of the processes in the drop down are spiking.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.

Re: Clearpass appliance - CPU spikes consistently

What version are you running ? We had a similar issue with 6.0.x version
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Trusted Contributor I

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Trusted Contributor I

Upon further examination, I see that all of my CPPM servers, including VMs, are spiking consistently.  Surely this is meant to happen...

I've opened a ticket with support just to be sure this isn't a bug and is expected behavior.

You shouldn't see that type of behavior specially if you have this appliance in test environment , not a lot of traffic  pointed to it ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Trusted Contributor I

None of the CPPM servers are performing authentication yet.  I have several DHCP helpers pointed to them for profiling purposes, but that's about the extent of the traffic.

You should probably open TAC case to get determine the root cause .

Have you checked if there's any outstanding patches that need to be installed under Administration » Agents and Software Updates » Software Updates

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Guru Elite

thecompnerd wrote:

I have a Clearpass hardware appliance that's consistently (CPU) spiking every 5 minutes.  This is a system that is not in production and only in test, so I'm at a loss to explain the spike.  It'll go from ~3% to 20%, then drop right back down.  Is there a process that kicks off every 5 minutes that would explain this?  I have checked under System Monitor > Process Monitor, and none of the processes in the drop down are spiking.

Compnerd,

If it is just 20% for a few moments, it should not be an issue.  Do you have any performance problems with the unit?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Trusted Contributor I

Yeah, that's what I figured.  I spoke with TAC and they confirmed that they see the same spikes in their lab equipment when devices are not authenticating against CPPM.

No performance problems necessarily, but while I had ACE on site they noticed that average radius response times from our controllers to our clearpass servers is around 105ms, which is quite a bit longer than the 5ms average of our Win NPS servers.  He thought this was something that I should keep an eye on to make sure there aren't any authentication timeouts.  I thought maybe occasional spikes CPU usage would explain it, but the usage on my servers appears to be normal.

MVP

Out of curiousity what does your RAM usage look like?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: