Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 26, 2018 06:32 AM

Hi,

I configured a captive portal in Aruba Controller 6.5.4.3. The external captive portal (Clearpass) is shown but the RADIUS auth-request packet is not sent by the controller, as shown by stats, i.e.

"show aaa authentication-server radius statistics" counters for our RADIUS group are not incremented. No events or tracking issues are seen at CPPM. If you use the "radius test" on diagnostics controller's section it works, counters are incremented and the request reaches CPPM.

On the other side, "IP address" field in Clearpass NAS vendor settings for Clearpass portal is a name (network-login.xxx.org), whose server certificate is already installed on the controller:

crypto-local pki ServerCert certificadonetworklogin network-login.xxx.org.p12

Any clue? Why the radius group is not used by the captive-portal profile? The controller should intercept the POST and generate the RADIUS request.

This is the configuration of the aaa profile for the  virtual-ap:

show aaa profile aaa-prof-portal-FORM-PROF

AAA Profile "aaa-prof-portal-FORM-PROF"
    ------------------------------------------
    Parameter Value
    --------- -----
    Initial role FORM_PROF_preauth
    MAC Authentication Profile N/A
    MAC Authentication Default Role guest
    MAC Authentication Server Group default
    802.1X Authentication Profile N/A
    802.1X Authentication Default Role guest
    802.1X Authentication Server Group N/A
    Download Role from CPPM Disabled
    Set username from dhcp option 12 Disabled
    L2 Authentication Fail Through Disabled
    Multiple Server Accounting Disabled
    User idle timeout 1800 sec
    Max IPv4 for wireless user 2
    RADIUS Accounting Server Group radius_form_profes
    RADIUS Roaming Accounting Disabled
    RADIUS Interim Accounting Enabled
    XML API server N/A
    RFC 3576 server N/A
    User derivation rules N/A
    Wired to Wireless Roaming Enabled
    SIP authentication role N/A
    Device Type Classification Enabled
    Enforce DHCP Enabled
    PAN Firewall Integration Disabled
    Open SSID radius accounting Disabled

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

user-role FORM_PROF_preauth
    captive-portal "FORM_PROF-Portal"
    access-list session global-sacl
    access-list session apprf-FORM_PROF_preauth-sacl
    access-list session logon-control
    access-list session captiveportal
    !

aaa authentication captive-portal "FORM_PROF-Portal"
    default-role "rol_profesor_edu"
    server-group "radius_form_profes"
    guest-logon
    no logout-popup-window
    max-authentication-failures 3
    login-page "https://myclearpass.xxx.org/guest/portal_login.php"
    welcome-page "http://www.google.com"
    white-list "CPPM_Lista_Blanca"
    !
    ---------------------

aaa server-group "radius_form_profes"
    auth-server grad-prepro-01
    !
    ------------
    aaa authentication-server radius "grad-prepro-01"
    host "172.22.13.27"
    key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    source-interface vlan 478 ip6addr ::

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2018 06:53 AM
    Just a quick glance it looks like you’re Mac auth server group is default. I believe it needs to be CPPM.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 26, 2018 10:49 AM

I don't need mac caching for guest users.

Anyway, I configured the same server group for mac auth with identical result: counters for my radius server don't increase after authentication through captive portal

• 4.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 26, 2018 11:14 AM
    Can you take a look at the Monitoring > Event Viewer
    And see if any RADIUS errors are showing up there

Couple of things:
    - Make sure the RADIUS shared key matches
    - Under Security > Authentication > Advanced > RADIUS Client
    It needs to be the local controller management IP (by default it uses the master controller)

• 5.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 29, 2018 04:09 AM

Thanks Victor,

The event viewer does not show anything. In addition, if you route requests from the controller to Clearpass through a firewall, only ssl packets are seen, but not radius packets. This is consistent with radius statistics data supplied by the controller CLI.

On the radius client side, defined on the controller, the source IP configured is actually the IP controller, on vlan 466. This configuration should be overwritten by the particular radius server and its vlan source-interface, shouldn't it?

In my original scenario, previous to this post, the route to clearpass was set through this vlan interface(valn 466)  but it didn't work. Anyway I tried again configuring routing to Clearpass through the IP controller's vlan and deleting the source-interface line (vlan 478) from the definition of the radius server for the captive portal definition. The result is identical. No packets are received on Clearpass (event viewer)

• 6.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 03:48 AM

Were you able to make this work?

Please also check with the 'show datapath fqdn' command on the controller that your certificate was properly loaded and matches the name network-login.xxx.org as you configured it in the ClearPass Guest page configuration.

Another step you can take is to revert back to the local captive portal on the controller, but still use ClearPass as authentication server, to see if that part works properly.

• 7.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 29, 2018 04:24 AM

Thanks Herman,

show datapath fqdn

Datapath FQDN Entries
    ---------------------
    network-login.xxx.org

I did another check using Chrome's Developer Tools. I thought that the RADIUS packet was issued by the controller on receiving a POST request addressed to "network-login.xxx.org" by the client. On the other hand, I see a request to Clearpass sending a POST request containing user and password. Why?  How could the controller intercept the POST in this way?

On reviewing "login form options" at Clearpass, I can confirm that "pre-auth check" is marked, what means this: "If checked, the username and password will be checked locally before proceeding to the NAS authentication. This option should not be selected if an external authentication server is in use.". This should led me to not configure this option, but the fact is that this captive portal is working on a production controller without issues. 

• 8.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 04:34 AM

What the pre-auth feature does, is that the client first posts credentials to ClearPass which triggers an Application/internal/RADIUS/direct check against the Guest user database. That authentication should be handled and successful, so you should see (except for the direct/internal) an authentication from the local system coming into ClearPass.

One of the features of that, is that ClearPass can provide a fully skinned message back to the user on that and why the authentication fails. The authentication on the controller just says 'authentication failed'.

After that first authentication, the credentials are posted (again by the client) to the network-login.xxx.org, which should then issue a RADIUS request from the controller to ClearPass.

If you don't see the browser connecting to network-login.xxx.org, the config needs to be fixed.

If you disable pre-auth, the credentials will be posted to the controller immediately, so that will help you to determine if the issue is in the pre-auth or not.

• 9.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 29, 2018 07:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your detailed explaination, defining a new captive portal without pre-auth checked, the client sends the POST request to the controller and a RADIUS request is produced.

So, I can confirm that the issue was produced by Clearpass pre-check functionality. I understood that I should see an authentication request (from internal source) but I cannot see it. Is there any log where the failed pre-auth check may be guessed?

• 10.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:19 AM

Which setting did you put your Pre-Auth check on?

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 3.15.08 PM.png

RADIUS is the 'safe bet' as it will pop an probably unmatched authentication in the Access Tracker. App Authentication/Authorization might need one of those as service configured and Local will never show up as it will do a lookup in the Guest user database directly (so doesn't support any other authentication source).

• 11.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:36 AM

Clearpass 6.6.2 does not have the possibility to chose any option. I guess it only performs "local auth" which probable means direct access to the guest database, doesn't it?

• 12.  RE: Clearpass captive portal working but no radius request

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:47 AM

Please upgrade as ClearPass 6.6.2 has known security vulnerabilities.

If you are using a Self registration flow, the setting is somewhat hidden. If you are in the flow overview screen, click on Login Message:

Screenshot at Oct 29 15-43-30.png

When you scroll up in the following screen, you will see the selector:

Screenshot at Oct 29 15-44-47.png

I don't have a 6.6, but I'm pretty confident that this still works the same.