Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass - exceptions to VLAN assignment

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Clearpass - exceptions to VLAN assignment

Posted Jan 09, 2020 10:41 AM

Greetings all!

We're prepping for our rollout of Clearpass to secure our wired infrastructure (Cisco switches), and I'm wondering about the best (or any suggested) way to handle VLAN assignment exceptions. I would like to use the "colourless port" model with radius based vlan assignemnt wherever possible, but I'm wondering how to handle all those wonderful excecptions to the rule. For example, say I'm assinging a "PRINTERS" vlan for all my printers, and on switch A, PRINTERS is mapped to vlan 10. But I've got that one printer that is on vlan 9 (the WORKSTATION vlan), and can't be easily moved. I think I could just set the port itself to vlan 9, and add the printer to a Static Host List that is used to match devices to an enforcement profile that doesn't send a VLAN assignment, but then it's no longer a colourless port. I was thinking of putting the VLAN as an attribute in the endpoint repository, but should I expect that to potenitally be flushed? Is there a good place to permanently store information like a VLAN override value that can be referenced for use in enforcement profiles? Or am I just looking at this the wrong way?

I'm new to Aruba and Clearpass, but' I've reviewed the Wired Policy Enforcement Solution Guide as well as other documentation, and I don't recall seeing anything about this issue.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

• 2.  RE: Clearpass - exceptions to VLAN assignment

Posted Jan 09, 2020 02:04 PM

What i like to do is create a new endpoint attribute like vlan-exception, fill that with a vlan id or name on each endpoint that needs the exception.

Create a new radius enforcement, set the value for Tunnel-Private-Group-Id to: %{Endpoint:vlan-exception} 

This way the value is dynamicly selected based on the value configured on the endpoint.

Apply this enforcement very high in you policy, so it will hit before the normal printer rule.