Security

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass --> controller communication

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Clearpass --> controller communication

Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:42 PM

I installed a new Local controller, and I entered the new controller IP address in the Clearpass network device list.
    Now the Clearpass server shows authentication errors in the Event Viewer as:

Received packet from 10.0.2.18 with invalid Message-Authenticator! (Shared secret is incorrect.)

This seems odd to me, since the Local controller got its config from the master controller, and the master and two other Locals are working just fine.

I'm tempted to reset the password on the master controller for the clearpass server and in clearpass under the device list.

But before I do that, I want to make sure that communication between the two doesn't go down...... Is this password only used in those two places?

Thank you,

Tony

• 2.  RE: Clearpass --> controller communication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:46 PM

The easiest way to check is duplicate the master's device in network device section of ClearPass using the "Copy" button at the bottom and just change the IP to the locals. This ensures the secret is the same.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass --> controller communication

Posted Aug 07, 2014 02:58 PM

Hi Tim:

Copying another controller's profile did the trick!

Thank you!

• 4.  RE: Clearpass --> controller communication

Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:47 PM

Did you added the local controller to the devices list in ClearPass ? and if so can you confirm it has the same shared key?