Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Computer Authentication before login not attempted

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Computer Authentication before login not attempted

Posted Jan 16, 2019 12:52 PM

I have a few dozen cases where some windows 7 laptops aren't attempting to connect to our main wireless SSID.

majority of computers are successful, but we have many cases that aren't.

We've push the 802.11 profiles via gropu policy. It has all teh required settings: Connect automatically in range, computer or user authentication, etc.

I dont see any attempts from these clients appear in the access tracker for machine authentication, but I see their user authentications after login. Most laptops, with the same group policy, are able to do the machine authentication, but some aren't.

Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: Computer Authentication before login not attempted

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 12:55 PM

- Gain posession of that computer

- Logoff and see if it attempts machine authentication

- If it does not, double-check the WLAN configuration to ensure that is is correct (in the proper group).  If it is, get onto the network and do a gpupdate /force to ensure that the group policy is being propagated.  When that is done, do a gpresult to ensure it is getting the group policy.

• 3.  RE: Computer Authentication before login not attempted

Posted Jan 16, 2019 01:48 PM
    I have tried that earlier this morning. One of my affected users allowed me access to his laptop. I did not see it attempt machine authentication after logging off, and verified that it is in the correct group ( same as my laptop), and verified that it's wireless profile is the exact same as mine. I see the policy under applied policies, but did a /force anyway, no changes.

• 4.  RE: Computer Authentication before login not attempted

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 02:02 PM
    Examine The client wlan configuration on the laptop to ensure that machine and user authentication is configured. Do not just trust group policy.

• 5.  RE: Computer Authentication before login not attempted

Posted Jan 17, 2019 09:32 AM

I went and grabbed the laptop, and verified that machine and user authentication was already set for the wlan profile. It still does not attempt machine authentication.

I'm just guessing, but maybe it is displaying machine/user auth, but maybe the registry says different? I'm unsure which registry entry would be for this setting to verify.