Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Jan 24, 2019 04:15 PM

Hi everyone, looking for some experienced users to help me out here.  We have a guest wifi setup with CPPM being the captive portal for users to authenticate against.  While digging through the configs for this setup, I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm being redirected to the captive portal correctly.  The service definitely works and we have no complaints from our users but when I compare my configs to those from an ASE example, it's missing the reference aaa profile that has all the necessary stuff like initial role and the captive portal session, etc.

This is what I have from the Guest ssid section (I've edited the names a bit):

wlan virtual-ap "Guest-vap"
    aaa-profile "Guest-redirect-aaa"
    ssid-profile "Guest-ssid"
    vlan Guest-vlan
    broadcast-filter all
    deny-inter-user-traffic
    !
    wlan ssid-profile "Guest-ssid"
    essid "Guest"
    !
    aaa profile "Guest-redirect-aaa"
    initial-role "Guest-redirect-role"
    enforce-dhcp
    !
    user-role Guest-redirect-role
    access-list session global-sacl
    access-list session apprf-Guest-redirect-role-sacl
    access-list session logon-control
    access-list session Guest-redirect-acl
    !
    ip access-list session global-sacl
    !
    ip access-list session apprf-Guest-redirect-role-sacl
    !
    ip access-list session logon-control
    user any udp 68 deny
    any any svc-icmp permit
    any any svc-dns permit
    any any svc-dhcp permit
    any any svc-natt permit
    any network 169.254.0.0 255.255.0.0 any deny
    any network 240.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 any deny
    !
    ip access-list session Guest-redirect-acl
    any any any redirect tunnel 10
    !

Normally I would expect the aaa profile to be loaded with all the initial role, mac authentication, dhcp, etc.  But this one doesn't.  There definitely is another aaa profile which houses all the captive portal information and such but it's not being reference in any other configuration whatsoever.

Could there be some other "default" setting that the guest users are hitting and being brought to the captive portal?

Thanks for any suggestions and let me know if you need any additional outputs.

• 2.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 04:24 PM

ip access-list session Guest-redirect-acl
    any any any redirect tunnel 10

It looks like you might have a tunnel to another controller (maybe a guest anchor controller).

Type "show datapath tunnel table" and "show interface tunnel 10"

• 3.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Jan 24, 2019 04:29 PM

The first command done from the local controller spits out a very large table.  The second command is below:

(A7240XM) # show interface tunnel 10

Tunnel 10 is up line protocol is up
    Description: 7240XM-Local-1 TO 7210-DMZ active tunnel for ssid Guest, need CP auth
    Source 10.204.65.27
    Destination 10.204.65.25
    Tunnel mtu is set to 1500
    Tunnel is a Layer2 GRE TUNNEL
    Tunnel is Trusted
    Inter Tunnel Flooding is enabled
    Tunnel keepalive is enabled
    Keepalive type is Default
    Tunnel keepalive interval is 10 seconds, retries 3
    Heartbeats sent 382864, Heartbeats lost 10
    Tunnel is down 1 times
    tunnel vlan 110

(A7240XM) #

• 4.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 07:04 PM

The DMZ controller is probably where the captive portal is enforced.

• 5.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Jan 24, 2019 09:17 PM

I'm going to do a diff on the configs between the master and the achor/dmz controller tomorrow but is there anything in particular I can look for?  On a cursory glance, the configs look almost identical.

• 6.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

• 7.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Jan 25, 2019 10:31 AM

Thanks @cjoseph that certainly helps to explains things better.  And I believe that's likely what's happening here.  The tunnel terminating on the DMZ controller *is* set to untrusted. Based on the article, it says that it puts all user traffic in the "logon" role but that example is for NAT'ing the user traffic.  The "logon" role on our DMZ looks pretty generic but does have a captiveportal reference:

user-role logon
    access-list session ra-guard
    access-list session logon-control
    access-list session captiveportal
    access-list session vpnlogon
    access-list session v6-logon-control
    access-list session captiveportal6
    !

Would that be what forces users to hit the captive portal?

Also, the article is a little dated and I'm not sure if some of the commands have changed but I don't have anything configured for derivation which would make total sense for having anyone who associates to the "Guest" SSID to have a guest-logon role.  That's the part that I'm missing from the master perspective.  What forces a user to get the initial role of guest-logon?

• 8.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Feb 01, 2019 11:54 AM

Anyone else with any suggestions or tips?

• 9.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 11:55 AM

Making a tunnel untrusted forces traffic into the logon role.  The Captive Portal ACL is in the logon role that forces user web traffic to the captive portal.  The logon role has a Captive Portal Authentication Profile parameter.  That is the parameter that determines which Captive Portal profile applies to users to hit the logon role.

• 10.  RE: Config makes no sense, how is my guest wifi working with captive portal?

Posted Jan 24, 2019 04:24 PM

Forgot to add that we have a master - local - DMZ local topology where our guest traffic is sent across a tunnel to the dmz controller hence the reference to tunnel 10 in the above config.