Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Binding

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  DHCP Binding

Posted Oct 11, 2012 10:22 AM

Hello,

I hope this is in the right area.  I'm just starting out with Aruba controllers and APs at my new job and we're running into an issue with how we want to set up a particular virtual AP.

We want to set up a network that our employees can use to hook up their mobile devices.  I have this set up and we're rate shaping the bandwidth to keep them from downloading too much on the network.  We seem to be running into issues when we try to bind a static IP to a MAC address for authentication.  Normally we would just have our Juniper switches take care of this, however, they are just not behaving properly and handing out the static binding.  After further investigation, it appears this is a common Juniper issue.

Is there any way we can set up the Aruba WLAN Controller to handle DHCP and static binding for clients, or is this something better handled by a separate DHCP device on the network?

• 2.  RE: DHCP Binding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 11, 2012 10:59 AM

@kentk94 wrote:

Hello,

I hope this is in the right area.  I'm just starting out with Aruba controllers and APs at my new job and we're running into an issue with how we want to set up a particular virtual AP.

We want to set up a network that our employees can use to hook up their mobile devices.  I have this set up and we're rate shaping the bandwidth to keep them from downloading too much on the network.  We seem to be running into issues when we try to bind a static IP to a MAC address for authentication.  Normally we would just have our Juniper switches take care of this, however, they are just not behaving properly and handing out the static binding.  After further investigation, it appears this is a common Juniper issue.

Is there any way we can set up the Aruba WLAN Controller to handle DHCP and static binding for clients, or is this something better handled by a separate DHCP device on the network?

This is better handled by a standalone DHCP server.  The Aruba controller cannot do static bindings.

• 3.  RE: DHCP Binding

Posted Oct 11, 2012 11:00 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking would have to happen.

Thank you very much for the info.