Security

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Delay in updating Endpoint attributes in Server Initiated flow

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Delay in updating Endpoint attributes in Server Initiated flow

Posted Oct 12, 2018 05:25 AM

Hello, 

At a customer, I'm doing CPPM 6.7.5 integration with Cisco Switching and WLC. I've followed Tim's Wired integration guide, but I'm observing a few strange things in what regards web page authentications with mac caching.

For reference, I have a MAC Address Authentication service that redirects to the web portal by default. Then I rely on the webportal service to update the endpoint attributes (Guest Role and User ID) and send a CoA to the switch (I'm using reauthenticate session instead of terminate). 

Once the CoA is done, the MAC address authentication should look at the updated endpoint attributes and apply the final enforcement profiles.

What I'm observing is that the endpoint update is not immediate and as the CoA (reauthenticate session) is sent, the switch immediately authenticates the mac address again, but as the endpoint attributes didn't change (yet) I'm stuck in a redirection loop.

If I remove my cable and reinsert I'm then properly authorized, but because in that time the endpoint update has been done.

I've fiddled with the CoA delay settings at the server level as well as the redirect delay on the web page but it still takes 18 sec to get something stable. 

I've also reduced the eager poller timer from 30 sec to 15.

My questions are:

- is it normal that the endpoint update takes so long (a few seconds?)

- it that process synchronous, or does it depend on a periodic timer to run?

- would changing the CoA type from reauthenticate to terminate or bounce change anything? I'll also have IP Phones on the deployment with potential hosts attached to them, what would be the impact?

Any assistance or suggestion is welcome.

Regards

Gustavo 

• 2.  RE: Delay in updating Endpoint attributes in Server Initiated flow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 08:46 AM

If you are running in a cluster of publisher-subscriber, all database updates happen via de publisher and are then synced back to the subscriber. There can be a few seconds delay in that process, so when you are running services from a subscriber, you should calculate for that delay. There are options to put in a login delay in your guest workflow or CoA delay for other workflows.

Could that be an explanation?

• 3.  RE: Delay in updating Endpoint attributes in Server Initiated flow

Posted Oct 17, 2018 09:15 AM

Hi Herman,

Thank you for your reply.

I also thought of that, that's why all my attempts were being done towards the publisher node.

By tweaking CoA delay in the server settings + Redirect delay in page I managed to get to something that appears to work, but at a 18 sec delay,  which I think is too high.

Can anyone please shed some light on the update mecanism and wich timers shoudl be tuned for that, between CoA delay, Eager poller etc?

Regards

Gustavo