Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Displaying name of the AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 07:32 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to retrieve the name of the AP and display it on the login form ? It seems that the AP name is not available in the
    captive portal redirect URL (I only see the reached website when I am on the login page) so using $ap_name is not working.

Any idea to do this ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

MVP
    Posted Feb 19, 2013 09:42 AM

I read this in the ArubaOS 6.2.0.2 release notes, might be what you need?

Captive Portal Enhancements
    This release of ArubaOS introduces the following captive portal enhancements in tunnel and split-tunnel
    forwarding modes.
     When a client using captive portal authentication gets redirected to the captive portal server, the
    controller will send information about the AP group and name of the AP to which the client is trying to
    connect in the redirect URL. If the AP name is not configured, the redirect URL will contain the AP MAC
    address.

• 3.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 09:45 AM

Thanks but using the self-registration portal in CP Guest, I think it doesn't apply to me.

• 4.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2013 09:58 AM

Boxcar,

If you are using controller-based access points, it will send that information.  If you are using IAP, we have to check to make sure the ap-name as a redirect in the URL is supported.

• 5.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 10:05 AM

cjoseph, I am using IAP.

To be a bit more clear, I would like to display on the CP login form a text like this : Welcome to "IAP name" network. The "IAP name" must change according to the to the network where the user is connected. I don't want to make it by hand because there will be many IAP in the future.

• 6.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2013 10:07 AM

@Boxcar wrote:

cjoseph, I am using IAP.

To be a bit more clear, I would like to display on the CP login form a text like this : Welcome to "IAP name" network. The "IAP name" must change according to the to the network where the user is connected. I don't want to make it by hand because there will be many IAP in the future.

Boxcar,

I think I understand you.   I am checking to make sure that an IAP sends that information you can use to display that.

• 7.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 10:09 AM

Thanks.

• 8.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 10:20 AM

Hi again!

As far as my testing showed - the IAP sends the mac address in the apname, but you can use the parameter vcname which has the name of the virtual controller.

Cjoseph might have some more details there.

• 9.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 11:37 AM

Thanks for the test. How can I retrieve the parameter vcname to use it in the template ?

• 10.  RE: Displaying name of the AP
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 11:59 AM
    Welcome to {$vcname}.

• 11.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 19, 2013 12:00 PM

As simple as this, good :)

Thanks, will try it tomorrow.

Dimitri

• 12.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 20, 2013 02:14 AM

It works like a charm thanks.

Dimitri

• 13.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 20, 2013 03:11 AM

A little addition, it works fine in the weblogin page but if go to the "Sign in" page or "Forgotten password" page, nothing is display. I think it's because $vcname is not stocked and can only be reached when IAP answered.

Any idea how to keep $vcname to use it in others pages ?

Dimitri

• 14.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 20, 2013 03:58 AM
    Well.. Do you use the default code for the links to login and sign-in page? You need url's like _login.php?{$smarty.server.QUERY_STRING|rawurlencode}

• 15.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Feb 20, 2013 04:09 AM

Like this ?

<a href="/guest/guests.php?{$smarty.server.QUERY_STRING|rawurlencode}">Test link</a>

• 16.  RE: Displaying name of the AP

Posted Mar 27, 2013 09:00 AM

A little up about this issue, any one can help me ?

Thanks

Dimitri