Security

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Doubts about Insight ?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Doubts about Insight ?

Posted Oct 17, 2018 10:40 AM

Hi,

I have some questions about ClearPass Insight ?

Does it have a separate database or it relies on other databases queries to generate a report ?

Does it store data from other databases like Endpoint, Guest and Tips all the time in a separate database or it queries those databases during report generation ?

Let me explain why I am asking thoses questions.

We have a client with 90-day Insight database retention that generates a Category Auth report by ClearPass on the first day of each month. We also use the Endpoint database to provide Mac caching for Wi-Fi users.

The database cleanup interval is set to 0 day. I understand that 0 days means that this database is never cleaned. Currently there are 20,000
    entries in the database and next week a new WiFi Guest will be activated and about 2000 new users will be added to this database every day. To not increase this database too much I want to configure the cleaning interval for 7 days.My fear of changing this is the impact that may be generated on Insight reports. If Insight queries information from Endpoint database in real time I will lost the historical data.

Probably Endpoints database is not being used for my Insight reports as I am using Category Auth report by ClearPass. Maybe Acess Tracker database (Tips ??) is being used. Is it correct ?

Thanks and Regards,

Luis Rodrigues

• 2.  RE: Doubts about Insight ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:38 AM

ClearPass has tipsdb, insightdb and tipslogdb databases.

Endpoint data will be stored in tipsdb.

We have endpoint table in insightdb aswell, retention setting in cluster wide parameters is applicable only to tipsdb, insight db retention is present in insght UI>Adminstration seciton. Defualt it is set to 30 days.

• 3.  RE: Doubts about Insight ?

Posted Oct 17, 2018 02:33 PM

Hi Pavan, thanks for the answer.

So If I understood I can clear Endpoint database without losing the historical information from Insight. Is it correct ?

I changed insight database retention  to 90 days. If I delete the endpoint database every 30 days Insight will keep the endpoint copies that are deleted ?

Rgds,

Luis Rodrigues

• 4.  RE: Doubts about Insight ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2018 07:04 AM

Yes, still you will have endpoint details in insight database.