Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 05, 2018 07:02 AM

Hello,

Customer has 802.1X service where corporate users will authenticate via EAP-TLS, and contractors via EAP-MSCHAP. CPPM runs on 6.6.8. 

While corporate users have no issues while authenticating, contractors are not able to so. Alert tab in Access Tracker is displaying error message "EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods". Any thoughts what could be the reason behind this? For both methods, authentication source is customer's AD. Thanks.

Regards,

NesaM

• 2.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 07:18 AM

Clients using EAP-PEAP actually use an Inner Method of EAP-MsCHAPv2 and an Outer Method of EAP-PEAP.  Make sure both methods are included as authentication methods in your service along with your EAP-TLS.

• 3.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 05, 2018 01:42 PM

Hi Colin,

This resolved our initial issue, thank you. We are now getting error messages "No trusted SAM account" and are working on it following instructions we saw in few threads on Airheads.

Regards,

NesaM

• 4.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2018 02:22 PM

Did you already add ClearPass to the domain?

• 5.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 05, 2018 04:05 PM

That's already done. I am suspecting that account used to bind CPPM appliances to AD might have expired, or has limited access rights, but will need to wait until morning for customer to confirm.

Regards,

NesaM

• 6.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 06, 2018 06:32 AM

Hi Colin,

After running a command "ad auth -u <user> -n <NETBIOS domain name>" I am seeing the "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED: Access denied (0xc0000022)" error.

User account we used to bind CPPM and AD is apparently still active, and with full access rights. 

Would leaving AD Domain, and joining again, be the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

NesaM

• 7.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 06, 2018 09:01 AM

Hi,

After all we discovered that an account used to bind with CPPM with AD was in effect able to read AD only, and not domain admin account (!!). That was now changed, and authentication requests are coming through. Thank you on your help Colin.

Regards,

NesaM

• 8.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2018 09:03 AM
    The bind account should NEVER be a domain admin account. It should be a standard user account.

• 9.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 06, 2018 09:07 AM

OK, but what kind of access rights should user account have? One used before could've read AD, but was throwing back that error message "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED". New one we tried gave us "NT_STATUS_OK". Thanks.

Regards,

NesaM

• 10.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2018 09:21 AM
    Bind is a simple LDAP lookup and does not use NT lookup

I think you may be confusing LDAP lookup and NTLM password checks.

• 11.  RE: EAP: Client doesn't support configured EAP methods - [EAP-MSCHAP]

Posted Mar 06, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks Tim.

I suppose that what confused me is that "# ad auth -u USER -n DOMAIN" command is the only troubleshooting command I was able to find that should confirm if bind account is correctly setup (and it seems I was wrong in using it :-)).

Am I correct in thinking that only these three conditions are enough to make bind account: 

1. Service account
    2. Password never expires
    3. Not restricted at which machine it can log on

Regarding issues from the beginning of the thread, before we tested joining CPPM to Domain with domain admin account we were seeing this in Access Tracker when user tried to authenticate: SAM_error.png

After leaving domain and re-joining (that might have been all that was required to fix issue!) authentication requests started coming through. Thanks.

Regards,

NesaM