Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:28 PM

Hi,

i want to authenticate Thinclients and IP Phones, which are getting certificates automaticly via SCEP with EAP-TLS.  These devices have no Active Directory Object, and i only want to check the certificate, and get the certificate templatename attribute of the certificate. I want to use the certificatetemplate name for setting explicit vlan and acl for this devices. For example, if the clearpass gets a authenticationrequest with a certificate, which has "smartphone" in the templatname, it will get the smartphone - vlan. If it gets a request with "thinclient" it will get the thinclient vlan.

I`ve attached a screenshot of the clearpass rule editor.

My problem is, that i couldn`t find the certificate template name as attribute in the clearpass rule set.

Clearpass.png

Thanks a lot

• 2.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:48 PM
    Unfortunately custom EKUs/OIDs are not currently available in policy.

• 3.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:56 PM

Thanks for your fast answer..

So what could be a solution for this problem?

I have to roll out certificates automaticly via scep for different devices (MDM, IP Phones, Thinclient, Printers) with different rules...

What is best practice for example authenticating thinclients with certificate?

I have to check if there is a possiblity to set a attribute like "thinclient" in the SAN ? Am i right, it is possible to filter SAN for attributes? It is the same as it is in the onboarding process?

• 4.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 03:58 PM
    Who is the CA?

• 5.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:01 PM

The CA is a windows - CA but with NDES / SCEP.

The managementsoftware of the thinclients sends a certificate request to the windows - ca and installs the certificate on the thinclient.

There is no Active-Directoryobjekt for the thin client..

Could it be a possibility to write of course "thinclient" in the OU field of the certificate and match this?

• 6.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:03 PM
    Yes, that would probably be the best approach.

• 7.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:12 PM

@Tim

What do you think, is it better to use the SAN, or OU Attribute of the certificate? SAN would be the same as the onboardingconfiguration..

I have to check the managementsoftware of the thinclients, which attributes are editable.. maybe it`s not possible to use the ou for all kind of devices (thinclients, printer, MDM)

Thanks

• 8.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:17 PM
    OU

• 9.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

MVP
    Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:01 PM

Why not use ClearPass profiling to identify if it's an IP Phone, Printer, Thin Client, etc. and validate the certificate information to ensure it's a Corporate-owned asset?

DHCP and IF-MAP can be setup fairly easily. SNMP/WMI/SSH profiling takes a little more work.

If device type = Unknown or NOT EXISTS, drop it in to a limited access VLAN which allows DHCP and that should be enough to fingerprint the device and then when it reauthenticates, it is known as it's correct type.

• 10.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition

Posted Nov 27, 2017 04:08 PM

Thank you for the tipp with profiling..

The customer wants to do the main count of clients with EAP-TLS and has the possibilitys to send automaticly certificates to the device.

But i think i also could use profiling for devices which are not getting certificats..

Where could i find a config / best practiceguide for profiling?

Thanks

• 11.  RE: EAP-TLS for Thinclients and IP Phones with Certificate Template as condition