Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

Posted Apr 26, 2018 10:37 AM

I've searched and searched and can't quite find a thread on here with the same symptoms. What I'd like to acheive is doing machine authentication with our Macs using a certificate assigned from our AD CA. I've got what I think is a very basic service configured, but the client keeps failing with "user not found". According to Access Tracker, it's not looking at AD as the authentication source even though it's specified. 

-Mac laptop (10.13.4) joined to AD

-It's getting the AD, ClearPass, and trusted CA certs via profile manager (I'm 99.9% sure this is all working as it should)

-AD CA cert installed in ClearPass trust list

-EAP TLS with authorization checkbox unchecked

-AD authentication source with default settings, working fine for EAP PEAP on production SSID

What am I missing?

• 2.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 10:50 AM
    Remove the authentication source from your service.

• 3.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:01 AM

Ok that works, but I had to change my role mapping rules. I had tried that, but my role mappings were based on AD attributes so it was still failing, just with a slightly different error message.

• 4.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:04 AM
    Just to be clear, this service is only handling machine authentications, correct?

• 5.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:06 AM

Yes it is, but this is only a test service. The plan would be to eventually add it to our production service which is now only doing EAP PEAP for user auth. I'm pretty sure I saw a config in an old thread for how to do that.

• 6.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:09 AM
    It would be better to keep machine auth in its own service since authorization is not enabled.

• 7.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:15 AM

Makes sense. Is there a way I can do that if it's using the same SSID?

• 8.  RE: EAP TLS with ADCS for machine auth

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 11:23 AM
    Yes, services are not tied to SSIDs.

Use service rules that check for:
    Authentication:Full-Username BEGINS_WITH host/
    Authentication:Full-Username ENDS_WITH .yourdomain.xyz