Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Email Validation

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Email Validation

Posted Jul 08, 2019 10:15 AM

I'm trying to validate the sponsor email field on our guest self-registration page using the isValidEmail validator argument. Through testing, I've found that I can only match domains, not full emails.

My current validator argument:

array (
    'allow' =>
    array (
    0 => 'asdf123@contoso.net',
    1 => 'contoso.com',
    ),
    )

This should allow asdf123@contoso.net and any address from the contoso.com domain (while denying anything else), but only emails from contoso.com are validated. I have tried this a couple of different ways to no avail. It always denies the email unless the domain is allowed (in which case any email in that domain is allowed). Ultimately I just want a list of emails allowed, no domains. I could also not get isValidEmailList to work.

The knowledgebase says "When using the IsValidEmail validator, the validator argument may be specified with a whitelist/blacklist of domain names, or with a whitelist/blacklist of email addresses."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Email Validation
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2019 10:54 AM

So it seems the documentation is a little incorrect.  The only times full emails kick in are in deny lists.  That scenario covers allowing 'contoso.com', but then denying a list of certain specific emails that you never want spammed.  We do not support a mix of a full domain and then a few extra specific addresses.  If they were all fixed addresses they can be listed out with a different validator (IsInOptionsList), but your example is not supported.

An alternative, if possible on your backend, is doing sponsor lookups against LDAP/AD and using LDAP filter syntax to cover what you need.