Security

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Guest: username & password

I know this is not what ClearPass guest was designed to do, but I have received new direction as management did not support the self-registration approach.

The decision from management is to create a single username and common password to be used by all.  I know this is very simple to create in CPPM and can set the amount of device to 0 (infinite).   I know this has an impact on reporting and auditing capabilities.

While I have tested this with about 4 people without issues.  We can have up to 1000 'connections' at the same time globally. 

My question is if CPPM supports this approach as I like the central administration approach as today we run Captive Portal locally on each controller.

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Re: Guest: username & password

Hi,

Yes you can use the same guest account on ClearPass with unlimited number of devices. but the username here doesn't bring any value any more. You might be better off using Clearpass Guest login with access code. Check this old access code PDF (trick is to require username only for authentication which is the access code )https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/aaa-nac-guest-access-byod/13298/1/Access_Code_Logins.pdf

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Could you elaborate more in detail on your question in CPPM? We can create a account and set no expiry with no user limit and share same user details to all guest users.

Pavan Arshewar | ACCP

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!
NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Highlighted

Hi Pavan,

Yes, I think you have outlined my requirements very well - single username/password i.e. guest@scoobydoo.com to be used by all the guests who require internet access when visiting our sites. 

thanks

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Hi,

Yes you can use the same guest account on ClearPass with unlimited number of devices. but the username here doesn't bring any value any more. You might be better off using Clearpass Guest login with access code. Check this old access code PDF (trick is to require username only for authentication which is the access code )https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/aaa-nac-guest-access-byod/13298/1/Access_Code_Logins.pdf

View solution in original post

Highlighted
MVP Guru

As mentioned before, there should not be an issue in functionality.

When moving from decentralized to centralized, make sure your ClearPass is sized and licensed correctly to handle the traffic for all the sites. But if self-registration with ClearPass worked well perfomance-wise, moving to pre-configured accounts should not be an issue as that puts even lower load on the ClearPass.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted

Thanks - I have made the suggestion just to use the Access Code method and this was accepted (for the time being at least).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: