Security

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

Posted Dec 30, 2014 12:56 PM

I have an Aruba 6000 box and I for some odd reason can't get a Finisar copper GBIC to work on a line-card port. I am running version 3.4.3.2 code. I know the GBIC is functioning since I had it working on another port on the same chassis. It says "Max power consumption exceeds GBIC specification. Auto-negotiation must be disabled on host system" on the back of the GBIC. I have disabled both speed and duplex auto-negotiation. Am I missing something? Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

Posted Dec 31, 2014 09:35 AM

It sounds like you need to limit the amount of PoE from the switch port.

Try disabling PoE on the switch port if you don't need it.

• 3.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 31, 2014 08:24 PM

@mcgonrya wrote:

I have an Aruba 6000 box and I for some odd reason can't get a Finisar copper GBIC to work on a line-card port. I am running version 3.4.3.2 code. I know the GBIC is functioning since I had it working on another port on the same chassis. It says "Max power consumption exceeds GBIC specification. Auto-negotiation must be disabled on host system" on the back of the GBIC. I have disabled both speed and duplex auto-negotiation. Am I missing something? Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks in advance!

Which model linecard is this?

• 4.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

Posted Dec 31, 2014 10:58 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I know the line card has only two empty GBIC slots (not sure of the actual model).

• 5.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 01, 2015 09:37 AM

mcgonrya,

If it is the model here: http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=603 it only accepts a limited number of GBIC models.  It is not guaranteed to work with any others.

• 6.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

Posted Jan 02, 2015 12:41 AM

I know that this GBIC works with Aruba 6000 controllers because I had it working on another port on the same box. I'm hoping that somebody can jog my memory as to how to get it to work.

• 7.  RE: How can I get a copper GBIC to correctly function on an Aruba 6000 controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2015 12:46 AM
    Here is your problem:

There is no specific standard for GBICs, so only the ones that are tested are guaranteed to work. If you are using one that has not been certified, you will have equipment that will work in some circumstances and not in others. If you are doing anything that is mission critical, I not sure how you could take that chance. If you are not doing anything mission critical, you are inviting frustration.