Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

Posted Dec 07, 2014 10:13 PM

Is there a way to profile a printer that uses a static IP address by querying the printer via SNMP?  I do not wish to maintain a list of MAC addresses so I am trying to determine the best way to automate profiling printers.  If not SNMP, is there a better way? 

Thanks, --mark

• 2.  RE: How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2014 10:15 PM

Are they wireless or wired?

If they're wireless, you can use the IF-MAP feature of the controller to push profile information.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS%206_3_1_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Management_Utilities/CPPM-ifmap.htm

If they're wired, you can use the subnet scanner feature.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/How-to-configure-subnet-scan-to-profile-static-devices-and-how/ta-p/214829

You can also use the MAC vendor attribute.

• 3.  RE: How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

Posted Dec 07, 2014 10:18 PM

Thanks for the quick response cappalli.  In my case, they are wired printers.  I will check out the docs you referenced.

• 4.  RE: How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP

Posted Dec 07, 2014 10:34 PM

If I am reading the subnet scanner feature correctly, it appears that it will query devices in the subnet with community string "public".  Is there a way to add a list of strings for snmp to use?  I don't see an option...

• 5.  RE: How to Profile Static Printers with SNMP
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2014 01:22 AM

Your correct in your observation in that today we only support a single RO community string. We will add support for multiple RO strings in our next CPPM s/w release (6.5). This will enter a beta program soon with planned FCS for end of Feb 2015.