Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 15, 2013 03:12 AM

I am unable to authenticate my lap using mac base authenticationn. Although i have followed the proper steps as mentioned on here as well as on aruba Aruba 6.0 user guide.

Step 1: Default role on Wilress lan wizard is LOGON.

Step2: L2 athentication profile has been made . Snapshot 11.jpg

step3: AAA profile with initial role LOGON, Default role GUEST and LOGON for 802.1x . Snapshot 22.jpg

step4: internal DB i have provided the laptop MAC address but still it gives me error ( windows is unable to connect to Test-SSID) snasphot 33.jpg

• 2.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 15, 2013 03:56 AM

In the screenshots provided you have set the case to 'lower' in the MAC auth profile but entered the MAC address in upper case in the internal db. If you change these values to match then it should work.

David

• 3.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 15, 2013 04:05 AM

Thanx dear,

but what is the purpose of L2 authentication Fail through ?

• 4.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 15, 2013 04:12 AM

however lower case is  selected and i enabled the L2 authentication fail through feature, mac based authentication is working,

but now i select the upper case and disable the L2 authentication fail through feature, mac based authentication is not working,

again enable the L2 authentication fail through mac base authentication is workfing now...

my question is that what is the prupose of L2 authentication fail through ?

• 5.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 15, 2013 04:16 AM

L2 fail through means that if an authentication method fails (i.e. MAC or 802.1x) then it will continue trying to authenticate via other L2 methods. This allows for MAC based authentication and if this fails going to 802.1x.

If you just want to authenticate with MAC address you do not need to enable L2 fail through. Just ensure the MAC addresses are entered in the internal db the same as defined in the MAC auth profile.

• 6.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 15, 2013 05:15 AM

Dear,

I want only mac based authentication.

Now i select the upper case for MAC address, and uncheck the L2 authentication fail through option. now  mac based authentication is not worrking...

there is no option in the MAC authentication profile to enter the MAC address. however i entered the MAC address (upper case ) in the internal database...

what can i do now ?

• 7.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 15, 2013 05:21 AM

Can u take the remote session of my laptop ?

• 8.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Jul 16, 2013 02:11 AM
    Make sure that the internal db is added as authenticated server in authentication server group

• 9.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

Posted Apr 04, 2018 05:34 AM

Hi All,

im not sure if this thread still up but im having same issue. advise will greatly appreciated

mac_Auth.pngmac_intDB.pngmac_L2.pngmac_ServerGroup.png

• 10.  RE: I am facing a problem for MAC BASED AUTHENTICATION

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 08:14 AM

Please explain your problem in detail.  This thread is 5 years old.