Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Feb 05, 2014 08:36 AM

Hi All, was wondering if anyone had any idea of the exact IAP settings for authenticating users via LDAP to a windows Server 2008 Active Directy Server.

I have numerous examples but none seem to work. I have configured an openldap server and authentication works immedietly with LDAP, but NOT with windows domain controller. I have asuccessful bind established but no authentication is happening.

I have the following formats for the filter string:

filter: (&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=person))

key atrribute: sAMAccountName

I also have tried the following filter attributes also.

(&(objectcategory=user)(memberof=CN=Group,OU=Users,DC=Domain,DC=com)) to no avail.

Does anyone have a working example of the settings for this to function against an AD server?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Feb 05, 2014 10:33 AM

Are you doing PEAP EAP-MSCHAPv2 or EAP-TTLS PAP on the clients?

EAP-TTLS PAP can work in this setup, PEAP EAP-MSCHAPv2 however cannot. Using LDAP you cannot read password attributes from AD. You *can* do a LDAP bind, but for MSCHAPv2 you will need to terminate on AD directly (for this the IAP would need to be domain-joined, but this is not supported). The LDAP bind can only work PAP.

If you want to do PEAP-EAP MSCHAPv2 against AD you will need an external RADIUS server. You could look at FreeRADIUS, Microsoft NPS or perhaps ClearPass.

• 3.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Jul 11, 2017 01:36 PM

Hi arjan_k,

I am using PEAP EAP-MSCHAPv2 and have the same issue. What InstantOS does this apply for? According to Instant 6.5.2.0 User Guide, external LDAP server is supported:

instant6520.PNG

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 02:12 PM

I would save time and get an external radius server.  To use an LDAP server with mschap, you need to (1) setup your LDAP server on the IAP (2) Enable Termination on your SSID (3) Install an EAP-GTC client on all of your clients.

You can avoid that by simply using an external radius server; you would avoid having to install software on your clients, and an external radius server would support machine authentication (EAP-GTC does not).

• 5.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Jul 14, 2017 10:48 AM

Hi arjan_k and Colin,

Yeah, I was able to authenticate with PEAP-EAP MSCHAPv2 against AD using an external radius server. However, EAP offload feature must be enabled on the IAP in order to work:

eapoffload.png

What is it referring to with outer and inner layers of the EAP protocol?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2017 10:57 AM

You should not need to use EAP offload if you have an external RADIUS server.

• 7.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Jul 14, 2017 11:22 AM

Strange because if I disable EAP offload it doesn't work but if I enable EAP offload it does work. Also the EAP offload feature description says that:

NOTE: AP termination is required when using LDAP for authentication, because LDAP doesn't support EAP.

I am using a Windows Server 2012 with AD and NPS configured.

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:02 PM

Hi Tim and Colin,

I have made this type of authentication in customer side. The authentication in against an external radius server with AD on it (Windows Server 2016), since the radius server pull the credentials from the AD. I have tried with termination enabled and disabled. With termination disabled doesn't work, however, with termination enabled works.  Is this the expected behaviour?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:04 PM

Can you please elaborate on what "doesn't work" means?

• 10.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:23 PM
    Yes, with "doesn't work" I mean I can't connect to the network, authentication fails.

Regards,
    Julián

• 11.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:26 PM
    What do the logs show?

• 12.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Aug 22, 2017 02:35 PM
    What commands could I use to get the logs?

Regards,
    Julián

• 13.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Aug 22, 2017 03:28 PM

Hi Tim,

I got the logs. Attached.

Regards,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    unsuccessful.txt   685 B 1 version
    txt
    successful.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 14.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 03:30 PM
    Your RADIUS server is rejecting the auth. You'll need to look at the logs on the server to determine why.

• 15.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Aug 23, 2017 09:42 AM

Ok, thank you very much!

• 16.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Apr 17, 2018 06:53 PM

Hi guys,

If someone if interested, I solved my issue. I found the following post:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/PEAP-authentication-failure-Reason-code-23/td-p/71530

I am not sure but I think the default certificate in the RADIUS server (NPS) I was using was not valid:

old_cert.JPG

I requested a new certificate for Domain Controller and now I can authenticate with EAP offload disabled:

new_cert.JPG

I am not sure, but it seems the default certificate I was using before is not valid for authenticating the server. Then I had to enable EAP offlload which uses the Aruba IAP built-in certificate which is valid for this purpose. After using the new certificate, I don't need to enable EAP offload. If someone can confirm this it would be great.

Regards,

Julián

• 17.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 02:53 AM

To be clear, the proper way to deploy 802.1x is to install and configure a Radius Server and just point the IAP to it, by configuring a radius server.  EAP-Offload with LDAP is just a workaround from the distant past when people did not have a radius server.  Everyone who has a Windows Server can configure a radius server with a server certificate, and should NOT be using EAP Offload with LDAP.

Why?

- EAP Offload has limitations like not being able to do machine authentication.

- It forces you to configure an LDAP server which does not have alot of diagnostic information in a failure situation.

- Depending on how the passwords are stored in the LDAP server, you cannot do EAP-PEAP and that limits the type of clients you can connect when you configure EAP-OFFLOAD.

I repeat, configure a Windows Radius Server and DO NOT configure Termination or EAP OFFLOAD on an IAP or an Aruba Controller.  

A detailed article on how to configure and deploy Windows NPS is here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/Step-by-Step-How-to-Configure-Microsoft-NPS-2008-Radius-Server/m-p/14392/highlight/true#M6113

• 18.  RE: IAP LDAP AAA WPA2 settings for windows server 2008 AD authentication

Posted Apr 16, 2018 06:04 PM

Hi Tim,

Long time about this post, but I didn't have time to make tests. I have made a test in my office with the same results. I have a Windows Server with AD configured, and I have configured the RADIUS role. When enabling EAP offload I can connect to the network, but when disabling EAP offload I can't. I have collected the IAP logs, and I have looked at the RADIUS server side, but I don't know the next step... Do you know the problem? I don't know how to check the EAP register files either. I have attached the IAP logs and a RADIUS server screenshoot.

Thanks in advance,

Julián

Attachment(s)

txt
    ap_logs.txt   2 KB 1 version