Security

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 24, 2015 06:43 AM

Hello friends,

I need to import information about a list of guest users from a CSV file but username and passwords fields are no available in this file. Can Clearpass automatically create users and passwords from this imported information? Or have they to exist in this file to automatically create?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 24, 2015 08:26 AM

Yes, once you go past the initial screen you can select whether the username and password file are created randomly. This is based on the settings in the Guest Manager screen.

• 3.  RE: Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 27, 2015 12:01 PM

Thanks. I look for it in Clearpass Guest user guide but I can oly find this option when you manually create bulk users. Sorry, could you or anyone else tell me where I can find it?

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 27, 2015 12:04 PM

I mean by "this option" to create random users and passwords. I can't find it when I import users information from a csv file.

• 5.  RE: Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 28, 2015 10:50 PM

Yes you can import new accounts in bulk AND generate usernames and passwors automatically.

What I would do is create a few accounts using your provisioning form manually.  Maybe 5 accounts will do the trick.  Then export these accounts to a .csv file.

Use the CSV as a template and and populate the columns for as many accounts as you need.  You can leave the usernames blank.

Then got to import the accounts.  Browse to the saved .csv file or if it is small enough copy and paste it into the import box.  After you click next you will be on step 2 of 3.  There is a box at the bottom called Match Fields.  In the username drop down you have the option to set it to a random username.  Below that is the option to use a random password.

I did this once for 20,000 accounts on an Aper system.  Exported from Aper matched columns to CPPM (AmigoPod at the time) and did the import.  Its important to have a template first using a form you created especially if you want emails to be sent to the users after the accounts are created.  Make sure you have SNMP working and the settings tested in the form before you make your template.

Also I suggest you set the accounts to force a password change on first login.  Hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: Import Guest Accounts with username and password automatic creation

Posted Aug 29, 2015 11:47 AM

Thanks a lot for your solution. I will test it!!!