Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted Feb 15, 2017 06:18 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to install ClearPass on VMware Workstation för testing purposes or I need real VMware ESXi enviroment for this?

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I tried installing AirWave on VMware Workstation and it works fine, it could be nice even with ClearPass, if possible :-)

• 2.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2017 07:35 AM
    It's not supported so there is no documentation.

• 3.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 15, 2017 07:35 AM
    It's not supported so there is no documentation.

• 4.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted Feb 19, 2017 09:33 AM

I think you cannot directly install clearpass on VMware Workstation but you can try to install VMware ESXi on top of VMware workstation, after that you try to install clearpass on it.

• 5.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted Feb 19, 2017 10:47 AM

Interesting, I'll give it a try. 

Thanks surabigaul!

• 6.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted Feb 19, 2017 08:39 PM

It is not support by Aruba officially but you can install it on vmware workstation. After installation, before powering up the VM, edit the VM and just add another hard drive with 80Gb or more capacity. You are good to go!

• 7.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted Feb 22, 2017 03:56 AM

Hi Jibran,

Do you mean that I don't need to install ESXi server first? See messages before...

I tested importing the ClearPass OVA-file directly to VMware Workstation but it did not work at all. 

There is also one ClearPass ISO-file and I can start from that but after a while it insist to have some CD.

If there is someone who made this work, please share with me and try to describe it with more details. 

Thanks in advance.

• 8.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 22, 2017 07:37 AM

Hi again!

Everything works fine now. Some files were missing so I couldn't get it work before.

If you want to install ClearPass on VMware Workstation just import VM to it, adjust CPU number, how much memory you will assign to it and add new harddrive (just like Jibran sead).

Well, You need a licens too but this can be fixed very fast too - contact your local Aruba/HPE partner for more info and help.

Thanks for all help!

P.S: Yes, I know that Aruba/HPE don't support ClearPass on VMware Workstation but for testing purposes this works just fine :-)

• 9.  RE: Installing ClearPass on VMware Workstation

Posted May 21, 2018 01:30 PM

Hello! I'm trying to install in WorkStation but I'm not sure how you got it to work.

I imported the vmdk file to Workstation and then mounted the ISO to the machine. However, it keeps asking me the installation file. Can you ellaborate a little on what you mean by Importing the VM. I don't believe there's an option for that in Workstation. Not that proficient in it though. 

Thanks in advanced for any pointers.