Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:52 AM

Our MP (5K VM) regularly sits at 100%. Reboot it and swap seem reasonable for a while then ts back up to 100% 

A

• 2.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 05, 2018 07:55 AM
    No. What's your memory usage and amount of memory?

• 3.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:17 AM

It's a standard 5K VM 8 CPUs 1 TB disk space and 8Gbytres RAM

According to VMWare its got 8Gbytes of memory and its using~4.5G

According to clearpass

Swap mem usage 100% Free swap mem 8Kb =Total swap mem 2.93Gb

Swap space used 3.0Gb swap space total 2.93Gb

• 4.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:21 AM
    Swap memory is (generally) used when a system is low on memory. As your VM doesn't appear to be low on memory I (personally) would log it with TAC.

• 5.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 05, 2018 09:26 AM
    Seem to remember that I did this a while ago without much luck, but as
    we're about to roll out a clearpass guest network that'll need guest
    device registrations need to get it sorted.
    As you said think another TAC call is in order
    A

• 6.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Sep 06, 2018 09:17 AM

Apparently engineering know about this issue. Got a remote session tomorrow morning

• 7.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 13, 2018 09:13 AM

The problem wss that we wee suffering from "Old VM" syndrome. our master published has been around for a long time and wa only configured with 3Gbytes of swap space. New VMs have 6bytes. 

TAC remote session increased swap space to 65Gbytes

• 8.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Dec 08, 2018 01:14 AM

Did this issue ever come back for you? I’ve been having this same problem since 6.7.2, TAC said it was a known issue and an upgrade would fix, but I’m on 6.7.7 now and same problem is back in 2 weeks. Our 5K VMs have already had the 6gb swap fix. 

• 9.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Apr 09, 2019 12:43 PM

@cm119 wrote:

Did this issue ever come back for you? I’ve been having this same problem since 6.7.2, TAC said it was a known issue and an upgrade would fix, but I’m on 6.7.7 now and same problem is back in 2 weeks. Our 5K VMs have already had the 6gb swap fix. 

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm also having slowness on a converted 5k appliance after the 6.7 upgrade, all patches applied, and swap increased to 6 GB. RAM and swap are not full, but the VM runs very slowly and is constantly taxing our SAN.

• 10.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2019 03:38 PM

Am I reading right people are increasing swap in a VM when there was a chance to increase actual RAM?  Swap is there solely for memory exceptions, not general runtime.  More swap stops the kernel from starting to randomly kill things, but at the cost of massive performance hits.  There is a happy place between too little for times we know are memory intense (reporting/backups/etc.), and too much.  More actual RAM is always a good thing.

• 11.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Apr 10, 2019 05:52 AM

Think the point here is that the original 5K VM only had 3 Gbytes of swap space. subsequent VMs had 6Gbytes by default. TAC are just upgrading the swap to what the new "standard" VM has. 

Our 100% cpu issue went away after increasing the swap space.

Having said that, I'm stil a bit confused at swap space usage on a clearpas VM. WE have 2 * C3000 VMs running on deficated ESX servers with 2 * the recommended harware spec for a C3000. They've got 64Gbytes of memory and 2 Gbytes of swap space. .. and are newly built 6.7.9 VMs ( 6.7.0 -> 6.7.9) .They aren't heavily loaded to say the least yet one of them has 53Gbytes ram free and is using 1.3 Gbytes out of its 2 G swap space. I would have expected it to use 0 of swap given the amount of memory like the other ones.

• 12.  RE: Is it normal to see a master publisher sitting at 100% swap memory usage

Posted Apr 10, 2019 08:30 AM

My C2000V hovers right around 50% of actual RAM (8 GB) and swap (6 GB) and the admin UI is almost unusably slow. I read that 8 GB is now the minimum on the 2000V, but 16 GB is recommended because that's what the hardware appliance comes with. Is it as simple as shutting down the VM and upping the memory in VMWare, or does TAC need to get involed? I want to see if that will fix my issue.