Security

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 10:33 AM

I need the AP's radios to power back their signal levels in the evening and increase them in the morning.

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 11:42 AM

Why do you need to do this??

As far i know its not possible, but i could be wrong...

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:35 PM

I believe I saw a few years back that it was possible but I cannot find any references.

The reason I want to back off the radios during the evening is that our schools are located in neighborhoods and our neighbors are using our guest network. I must keep this network turned on for the people who may be using the conference rooms and other staff who stay late into the evening.

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:53 PM

What about adding a PSK to the guest network?

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 01:47 PM
    I see...
    For any good luck
    are you using aruba mobility switches?
    if so you would be able to turn off the aps at a specific time and turn them back on agaiain at another specific time...

just to know how are the neighbours using the guests, in first place? How are they getting the captive portal username and password?

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 04, 2014 02:00 PM

I do have the Time Range set to turn off the APs we do not want broadcasting but I must keep the Guest network up and running all of the time.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to set any authentication on the Guest network, this is why I'm looking at reducing the RF to limit how far it extends out into the neighborhood.

There are two ways that I use to determine that our neighbors are using the Guest network or not. Airwave does a good job of triangulating if the client is outside the building and If there are no conferences going on, there shouldn't be more than 10 people accessing the Guest network per school.

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 05, 2014 02:01 PM

The script I posted here:  Running CLI commands remotely using Perl could be adapted to run any command(s) that can be run via the CLI.

If you needed to have it run commands at certain time you could put them into a cronjob and have one script to lower tx power and one to raise it.

Not the easist solution but it would be possible.

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to schedule a radio's power levels to increase/decrease at certain times?

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:39 AM

Thanks for the script,

I realize now that maybe it was a Cisco, Meru or some other system that had this feature that I was reading about.

I think what I'm going to do is create an new ARM profile with different Min/Max EIRP settings and then run a scheduled script to change the radio profiles. Does any know of any reason this shouldn't' work?