Security

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

MAC authentication in clearpass

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  MAC authentication in clearpass

Posted Feb 25, 2014 08:53 AM

I am trying to configure clearpass, for mac authentication for guest access, but have having trouble triggering the "guest mac authentication service.

I used the "guest mac authentication"  template to create the service "mac authentication" and "guest access with mac caching"

The "guest access with mac caching service is matched in the access tracker, authenticates me against the "guest user repository"  updates the endpoint to known etc, and sends the correct role to the controller in order to allow me to access the guest services/internet etc.

I have followed various implementation guides and other posts on here but I cannot get the "mac authentication service to trigger"

Not even to deny a host that has never connected. 

The mac authentication is set as shown below:

Service tab

type mac authentication

Service rule: match all

type: connection                 name: client-mac-address      operator: EQUALS               Value: %{radius:IETF:User-name}

type: RadiusAruba             name:Aruba-Essid-Name       operator: EQUALS               Value:  Lab_GUEST

Authentication

Methods = [MAC AUTH]

Authentication sources [Endpoints repository] [local SQL DB]

Authorisation

Authorisation source [insight repository] [local SQL Db]

I have seen in other posts that not having "Insight enabled" can cause problems but this is enabled, Checks after I have authenticated show that my device is changed to a known device etc, but I still don't get hits on the access tracker for my "mac auth service"

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: MAC authentication in clearpass
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2014 08:55 AM

Do you have MAC authentication enabled for the SSID in your controller?

• 3.  RE: MAC authentication in clearpass

Posted Feb 25, 2014 09:50 AM

Hi Cappalli

First, thanks for the quick reply,

Good call, I had set up a mac authentication aaa profile to clearpass etc, but selected the wrong one under the ssid.

Now that this has been corrected i am seeing the correct authentication attempts hit clearpass

Thanks again